Author Topic: Can't mail a letter while carrying.  (Read 8093 times)

yabu

• View Profile
Can't mail a letter while carrying.
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »
I have posted a question about this on the "Ask a lawyer" section of the forum; but, in the meantime I have been doing some research on this question.  As it stands now, according to my reading, the Post Office still prohibits weapons on all postal property - including the parking lots.  This means I can't use the drive by mail box on the edge of the lot to mail a letter if I am carrying my weapon.  That sounds stupid to me, but I think that is the current law.  They are debating this in the Senate now and relief from this law may be on the horizon.  It seems strange to me that I can't mail a letter using the drive by mail box while carrying; but I can walk into a bank with my concealed weapon and there is no problem.  I've never seen a sign at any bank I have used prohibiting guns on the premises.  Maybe the Texas Law Shield lawyers will weigh in on this subject.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Can't mail a letter while carrying.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
There are banks that are posted 30.06 I understand (not one I will use) and many Credit Unions seem to be posted. Banks are not Federal property so it is not an "across the board" gun ban like post offices, but a case by case basis.

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:15:04 AM »
When I first got my license I was surprised to learn that banks were not on some prohibited list.  I just thought they naturally would be.  But I check the entrances of the bank before entering when I'm carrying just to be sure.  My Wells Fargo bank has no posting of any kind that I can see.  I have to tell you I felt a little strange the first time I went into the bank carrying.   :)

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
yabu,

You are correct; in the postal code, there is a regulation (232.1(l)) that prohibits the carry on any post office owned property, including the parking lots. We certainly hope this changes soon, as we can only imagine how many inadvertent violations of this law occur on a daily basis.

Thank you for your question.

spanman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »
We live in a rural area, and pick up most of our mail at a community mail box, Would that  be considered USPS "Property".

Pecos

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
Quote from: "yabu"
When I first got my license I was surprised to learn that banks were not on some prohibited list.  I just thought they naturally would be.  But I check the entrances of the bank before entering when I'm carrying just to be sure.  My Wells Fargo bank has no posting of any kind that I can see.  I have to tell you I felt a little strange the first time I went into the bank carrying.   :)

I Bank at Wells Fargo to & carry there. First time I went there I really searched for 30;06 signs didn't see any. I have encounters other banks with no 30;06 signs too,
That is great. Hope Post Offices become legal soon.

Albannach

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »
Re picking up mail at a bank of community mail boxes:  If you are referring to a bank of mailboxes in a neighborhood or some similar location, it is my understanding that the inside of the mailboxes is considered federal property (in order to give the US Postal Inspectors jurisdiction over the mail inside) but the outside of the boxes is not considered federal property. The exception to that being that US Postal Inspectors have the authority to investigate cases of tampering with or vandalizing mailboxes even if they are privately owned. That being said, I think it would be a real stretch for some federal prosecutor to contend that reaching inside your neighborhood mailbox while legally carrying a handgun constitutes entry onto US Postal Service property. That might fly somewhere like the People's Republic of Austin or maybe even Designer Dallas, but it would probably get laughed out of the courtroom in places where common sense and good judgement prevails.

It seems foolish to me that licensed firearm carry is illegal in post offices. We all know where the term "going postal" came from. Post offices are potentially dangerous places to be!