Author Topic: Where To Shoot...!!  (Read 3298 times)

mayfieldh

• View Profile
Where To Shoot...!!
« on: February 10, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »
I was just told by a friend who took his CHL class that his instructor told him that if you have a license to carry and shoot someone in self defense in the head instead of the body that you will probably go to jail because the jury looks at it as you being a proficient shooter.  I don't believe this and wonder why you have to pick a spot to shoot someone when you have no other choice.  Is there a law about where you can shoot someone in self defense..

Kyle45preferred

Re: Where To Shoot...!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »
I would like to find out about this as well. I practice two to the chest(heart your right side of the enemies chest, above belly, or aim for where you think their nipple is) one to the head, center mass. Personally if you have to shoot, you will probably aim center mass anyway, and only worry about the head if they have body armor. But I'd still aim for the heart, or spinal cord, that is the only way to incapacitate someone, and most likely they will still be able to fight for a few seconds there after. In which case I would empty the mag until they are stopped, and practice rapid fire shooting. I carry 9mm and 45, and know that I will probably have to shoot twice just to equal 1 45 round damage. I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 9mm, but that is my personal preference. Also body mass if they are 300lbs + you need to dump 4 + rounds depending on how many other target their are. But again you have to be alive to face trial.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »
You shoot "to stop the threat" say nothing more. Train as needed, do what is necessary and then remain quiet.

Lovat-1

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:51:54 AM »
Aim center mass...press trigger until the threat is stopped.....center mass of whatever is exposed..what if the threat only shows their head? or you only have a shot from the side? or any of the other unlimited amount of scenarios. MIO is absolutely right "Stop the Threat" and then wait till you've consulted with your attorney.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 12:08:54 PM »
Still waiting for an attorney's view on this...

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »
Mayfieldh,

Texas Penal Code section 9.01(3) defines deadly force as force that is intended or known by the actor to cause, or in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing, death or serious bodily injury.  Under TPC 9.32, one situation where you are justified in using deadly force is when you are justified in using force under 9.31 and when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the otherís use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force.
There is nothing in these laws that dictate or restrict where on the body you can shoot someone when justifiably using deadly force in self-defense.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:51:58 AM »
Thanks, that is what I thought but just wanted to be clear...