Author Topic: Events at UH regarding campus carry  (Read 3580 times)

prattguy

Events at UH regarding campus carry
« on: February 27, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »
I'm a faculty member at UH.  We were invited to attend one of three 'open forums' regarding the upcoming campus carry law that will be going into effect in August. 

I have to say, the one forum I attended was one of the most ridiculous and biased presentations I have been to.  Evidently this is the price I pay for being employed at what is classified as a 'liberal' campus.  In case you haven't seen it, this link shows a slide that the moderator - the faculty senate president - recommends for dealing with potential open carriers in the classroom. 

http://www.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/UH-faculty-may-drop-topics-from-curriculum-as-6849002.php

The amount of bias in this presentation was terrible.  Not only was the email announcement inviting faculty to attend with ideas about how we can 'push back', but there was clearly incorrect information presented (such as the shooting portion of a CHL class was described as asking someone to hit a barn while standing inside it).  There were faculty in the room demanding that we exclude an open carrier from class.  Others begged that they be able to exclude an open carrier from walking in a faculty member's office.  The law is evidently infringing on their first amendment, too.  One in the room stated "if I see a gun I feel that my life is threatened'.  The group laughed when it was mentioned that an open carrier didn't have to tell the faculty member if they had a CHL if asked (but were a faculty to ask if someone was gay, that would of course be a civil rights violation).  It was so sad.  There was no discussion of the requirements to be a CHL holder or an open carrier - the faculty seriously believe that it's a 'bring your gun to campus' day for everyone.  I was clearly the only one in the room who understood the rationale for the law but no one else appeared interested in reading the rules; rather they seemed to prefer to follow the beliefs of their political party and go with the knee-jerk 'ban all guns' reaction.  No mention was made of the campus rapes, robberies, or assaults listed in the annual police report, and certainly there were no 'open forums' about crimes occurring campus (truth be told, it's a very safe campus).  Instead, we hold forums to deny individuals their rights.  And we as faculty evidently expect the campus to defend us legally if we deny those rights. 

Unfortunately I had to leave early to teach class and didn't get the ten minutes I would have needed to educate the attendees.  I'm asking that if you have time, consider notifying your state senator, email the NRA, or whatever you need to do to get this noticed.  It is a clear organization of the majority of our faculty to deny an individual his/her rights.  I expect faculty-led protests from the faculty as August approaches.  Since I'm not tenured I will have to watch what I say and do, but I think that if the faculty's plan is made public that it will be quashed quite well. 

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Events at UH regarding campus carry
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 05:11:20 PM »
As I understand the law, open carry would not be an option on campus - only concealed carry. Am I wrong?

prattguy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »
Yes Neighbor, that is correct.  I appeared to mix up 'open forum' too much with 'open carry'.  It now allows concealed carry in classroom buildings after August 1st of this year.  Concealed carry has been allowed on campus since 1995 but not in campus buildings.  Sorry for the confusion.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »
These comments don't make much sense to me considering concealed carry is the issue

There were faculty in the room demanding that we exclude an open carrier from class.  Others begged that they be able to exclude an open carrier from walking in a faculty member's office.  The law is evidently infringing on their first amendment, too.  One in the room stated "if I see a gun I feel that my life is threatened'.  The group laughed when it was mentioned that an open carrier didn't have to tell the faculty member if they had a CHL if asked (but were a faculty to ask if someone was gay, that would of course be a civil rights violation).

Concealed is concealed and they shouldn't have a clue who is carrying and who isn't. Interestingly enough many of them have probably set beside or talked with armed folks many times over the past years and never suspected.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:34:14 PM by Neighbor »