Author Topic: What would constiute legal carry of this new firearm disguised as a cell phone?  (Read 2266 times)

Hetzer

• View Profile
A company in Wisconsin is producing a two-shot .380 acp pistol designed to look like cell phone when the grip is folded.  (see link: http://idealconceal.com/ )

Would the pistol in its closed (disguised) condition qualify clipped to the belt as concealed carry under Texas Law or would it be considered open carry?  If it is open carry, does it qualify for open carry under Texas Law or does the lack of a "holster" disqualify it?

mayfieldh

• View Profile
Looks like a useless device to me.  Hard to use when you only have seconds to protect yourself.

MIO

• View Profile
Good luck on drawing that and I sure hope it's on one BG

Hetzer

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies but I was asking a legal , not a tactical, question.  :)

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hetzer,

This is a great question. At the moment, we are unsure how this specific weapon will be viewed under the law as far as whether or not it would be regulated by the ATF; so you may need to go through the NFA process to even legally possess the item.

For the sake of discussion, the short answer is that it is a crime to “intentionally display a handgun in a public place to another person.” Note that there is no requirement that the person understand it is a gun, only that you intentionally show it to them. The defense to this crime is that you are open carrying, and the firearm is in a belt or shoulder holster. 

So, ultimately, it is possible that a “cell phone holster” that attaches to the belt would allow this weapon to be carried openly!