Author Topic: Can I openly or concealed carry at tx dps office?  (Read 3164 times)

IppgNoah

• View Profile
Can I openly or concealed carry at tx dps office?
« on: April 21, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »
Standing outside drivers license office just curious if I can go in with weapon legally

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Can I openly or concealed carry at tx dps office?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:55:29 PM »
My 1st thought was, "why not - they issued the license". I have carried concealed the last 2 times I've been at our local office. I will say that, at least in my case, the person behind the computer will know immediately when they enter your DL # that you have a license to carry. There was a large red word across the top of the screen (may have been ATTENTION) and the lady looked at me and then said quietly, "Oh you have a concealed carry license," I nodded and she said the same word comes across if a person has a warrent. She had no other comment and didn't seem concerned.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 03:42:15 PM »
IppgNoah,

There is nothing in the law that specifically prohibits a license holder from carrying inside of a Department of Public Safety office.

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »
Actually, DPS cannot restrict you, except in the secured areas.

Way back when my son was getting his d/l, I'd left my carry gun in the car (old law, I said way back when :) ).  The clerk asked for MY d/l.  I was not prepared for that.  I debated giving her my CHL too.  But, I was not carrying AND it was a clerk, not an LEO.  When she put it in her computer, she got a funny look on her face, got up and went over to a printer to check something.  When she came back, she said 'Oh, you have one too'.  I asked her what and was told that she had her CHL too.