Author Topic: Concealing at a local Rodeo Arena in Oklahoma?  (Read 2022 times)

• View Profile
Concealing at a local Rodeo Arena in Oklahoma?
« on: May 04, 2016, 08:32:16 AM »
Me and my wife attend a local Rodeo arena on a regular basis and we both conceal. I haven't had any issue with them yet but was just curious what my rights were and if they could legally confiscate my firearm or just ask me to leave the premises? I have not seen any 30.6 signs posted anywhere but I did notice something on their website that read the following

( Weapons are not permitted on the Arena premises. Weapons found at bag check will be confiscated. Any patron caught with a weapon during an event is subject to early ejection. *Confiscated items will NOT be returned.
*Riverbend Arena’s definition of weapons includes but is not limited to the following: knives or blades of any length, metal nail files, chains longer than 6 inches not made of precious metals (i.e. platinum, gold or sterling silver), firearms (authentic or replicated, including toys), clubs or extendable batons, any type of chemical irritant spray, stun guns or Tasers, spiked or studded jewelry, brass knuckle or any other item that could likely be used as a weapon or may cause injury if thrown or used improperly. The only exception to this section of the policy is for credentialed law enforcement officers who have jurisdiction in Oklahoma or are on assigned duty Rogers County or are under the employ of Riverbend Arena at the time of entry. Said officers must be in uniform or identify themselves to Door Security Staff and be cleared by Police officers under the employ of Riverbend Arena prior to entry.)

kmedcalf

• View Profile
Re: Concealing at a local Rodeo Arena in Oklahoma?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:50:18 AM »
IANAL, however I can safely say you won't see a 30.06 sign there, as that sign is a Texas sign and isn't used in other states. However, you might want to check www.handgunlaw.us, specifically that "no gun" signs do not have force of law and carrying in a sports arena during a professional sporting event is not permitted. As to whether they could confiscate your weapon, I have no idea about that, but from what I see, they can ask you to leave and if you don't, it can be a $250 fine.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:37:42 AM »
I understand if I am asked to leave I must do so or I would be considered a trespasser, but what is is the definition of a professional sporting event? I realize that the PBR and PRCA and such would be considered a professional sporting event. But a lot of the events that take place at this particular arena are for kids as young as 3-18. Granted all competitors no matter the age would have to pay an entry fee and monies will be payed out to the winner, does that make it a professional sport because money is payed out even though anyone can enter?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 03:50:32 PM »

Typically, if the participants are competing for money, it is likely this will be considered a professional sporting event.
Note: Due to new legislation passed in Oklahoma that goes into effect November 1, 2016, guns will be permitted at any publicly owned or operated sports arena or venue during a professional sporting event if allowed by the event holder.  Private venues have been removed completely from the old law, so the decision to allow carry is up to the management of the private venue.