Author Topic: "Hypothetical" situation.  (Read 2861 times)

sominus

"Hypothetical" situation.
« on: September 24, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
So let's pretend that my ex-wife was sentenced to 15 years in the Texas pokey for a murder-for-hire plot. Remember, we're just pretending here.

Let's also pretend that, while in prison, she tried to get someone to find someone to take ME out. Again, this is "hypothetical". (wink wink)

Since we're pretending so much, let's stretch it out a little further and say that she was paroled to Austin about a month ago and put on an ankle monitor.

And let's say that she went missing for a while last week.....

If said ex-wife, who has a restraining order against her for "no contact under any circumstances in any manner" were to show up on your doorstep in Houston, what would YOU do? Remember, there is a credible threat by a convicted felon against your life here...

And, hypothetically, this isn't a hypothetical situation. The only "hypothetical" part to it is that she didn't actually get to Houston -- she was apprehended in Austin.

Personally, I didn't want to go home without a weapon, not realizing at the time that she has been apprehended.  I fully expected to find "someone" parked near my house (fortunately the next door neighbor is a state trooper).   My wife and I contemplated grabbing the kids from school and going to a hotel -- that's how seriously we take the threat this woman represents.  This scare is why I took my CHL course this past weekend, and why I actually bought a weapon on the way home from work.

-M
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "Hypothetical" situation.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »
sominus,

In the situation you have presented, awareness is key. If there is a restraining order, she risks going back to prison if she makes contact with you. The use of deadly force is not justified against someone with a restraining order “protecting” you. If you or someone else sees her or has any contact with her, the authorities should be contacted immediately. You may use force by displaying your firearm to her in order to deter her from committing any harm against you or your family. In order to be justified in using deadly force, you must have a reasonable fear of death or serious bodily injury. Her mere presence is not enough to use of deadly force. There will be need be facts like she said she was going to kill you, she displayed a weapon, or she lunged at you after you displayed your weapon.

Stay safe!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »