Author Topic: Almost the victim of a crime  (Read 1810 times)

sbhenkel

• View Profile
Almost the victim of a crime
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
I recently read one of your newsletters where you presented an actual scenario where a member came out of a store and was confronted by two guys who wanted to cause trouble.  The situation escalated enough that the member simply revealed his concealed gun. The two other guys left but unbeknownst to the member they reported him as the aggressor.  He was arrested and had to go through the hassle of the legal process.

The article recommended that you should call 911 and report that you were "almost" the victim of a crime, and then call U.S. Law Shield.

My question:  Under typical circumstances (gun was fired, someone was hurt or killed, etc.) you recommend we invoke our right to remain silent and wait for the attorney before saying anything.  What about this kind of situation?  If you call 911 and they send the police, what do you say?  Do you still remain silent?  In this kind of situation there's nothing left to indicate anything happened.  Do you remain silent and then risk the police saying "then why did you call?", or is there something that can be said in this kind of situation that won't get "good guy" into potential trouble?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Almost the victim of a crime
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »
sbhenkel,

We recommend that this situation be handled in the same manner in that after calling the police you should call your program attorney who can help you determine the next steps to take.

Jake-KC

• View Profile
Re: Almost the victim of a crime
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
sbhenkel,

I just read "What To Do After Bang" (So, you had to use a gun, now what?) If you haven't seen it, I suggest you look on the Law Shield site as this was one of their publications.  After reading your post then the reply, I believe this document may offer some additional insight to the LS Attorneys reply. It IS written for a shooting but I believe many of the recommendations noted still apply.