Author Topic: concealed carry badges  (Read 6987 times)

carlos8725

• View Profile
concealed carry badges
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
While searching for a CWP wallet I found several with a CWP badge included. What are the pros and cons and what do the police think of them. As long as I don't use it, flash it, or misrepresent it such as impersonating a police officer, or intimidate with it is it advisable to have?   

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: concealed carry badges
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
There is a topic titled "CHL badge" in the Ask the Lawyers section that might shed some light on this.
In my opinion they are useless. If you use it there is always the chance of the "impersonating an officer" claim and if you don't, why carry it?

jaeroo43

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:59:10 PM »
Bad idea as u can be mistaken for a police officer and get targeted due to the BLM movement and other anti-police groups these days. If u want to buy one, keep it at home for sh*ts and giggles but never wear or carry it on ur own person.

CongoHarry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:09:56 AM »
While searching for a CWP wallet I found several with a CWP badge included. What are the pros and cons and what do the police think of them. As long as I don't use it, flash it, or misrepresent it such as impersonating a police officer, or intimidate with it is it advisable to have?   

Bad idea.  The badge is a universally recognized symbol of authority.  A CWP does not confer authority.  It grants permission to carry a weapon concealed. Nothing more.  It doesn't matter wether or not you flash it or misrepresent it.  If it should merely cause someone to believe you're a law enforcement officer, it could get you in a lot of trouble. 

shorthairptr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »
Explain more about what the badge looks like.

I've seen them at gun shows & online. Its a TOY. The one I saw said "Concealed Carry" (maybe concealed carry badge). If it does not have your name and or CCW id# then its nothing more then a toy.

example: you get pulled over while driving. You pull out this badge do you think the cop is going to say thanks or still ask for your CCW id? Its not state administrated. Therefore, what good is it?

What worries me is the shape of it. As another user posted it resembles a LEO badgle (no clue why) and people might use it as false identity. Do you WANT someone to think you are LEO? By showing it and not saying you are LEO do you think you still are not falsely / illegally identifying yourself as a LEO?

I personally think its a BAD idea. It can ONLY get you in trouble.  Keep your CCW hidden unless a cop asks you for your identification. No reason to wave your id around. Just my 2 cents!!!

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »
I would say the ONLY benefit for this badge is to keep you from getting shot by the police if you are involved in a shooting or being pulled over.  But I wouldn't hang it on my neck until they are just about to arrive.  Otherwise, keep it hidden.  Even if they thought you were trying to impersonate an officer, they won't just shoot before questioning you.

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »

IMHO - whatever this "badge" may be - very BAD idea

unless the badge is as large as both arms outstretched with empty hands showing WHAT is the POINT?

duffer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 02:53:04 PM »
You wanted to know what the police thought of them. Aside from getting into a bind about possibly impersonating...I was in law enforcement for 27 years. Anytime someone flashed his CWP badge at me, I just told him put that thing away before it gets you into trouble. Most police look at civilians carrying ANY type of badge as "wannabes."

Rockriver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 12:52:56 PM »
When I retired from federal law enforcement I was not allowed to retain my badge.  Agency policy dictated that I could get it back only after they cut it in half and permanently embedded it in Lucite. 

I have seen concealed carry badges online, as well as a few HR218/LEOSA badges for retired LEOs.  I still carry my credentials (which are clearly marked "Retired") to comply with LEOSA, but I would never carry one of these substitute badges.  I am no longer an active cop and don't want to give anyone the idea that I am trying to impersonate one.

Bottom line - bad idea!

Rob-n-TX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 07:59:30 PM »
While searching for a CWP wallet I found several with a CWP badge included. What are the pros and cons <snip>   

Conceal Weapons Permit badges are just a gimmick, a toy.
  They carry no authority and could get you in deep... well, you know.  Go ahead and buy one if you really want it, but keep it with your patches or attach it to your gun safe.  Don't carry it with you.

Bodeneth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 11:39:52 PM »
I saw an ad on fb for one of these concealed carry badges and handy dandy badge and chl wallet last week. I was literally shocked at the dozens of mindless people who commented on the advertisement about how they either have one or cant wait to get one.

Why why why??? What good are they? Other than a conversation pc at home, they are pointless and useless and can only serve to get yourself in trouble
for impersonating a LEO.

WTH goes thru peoples' minds when they desire such a thing? Is it their life long desire to be a LEO? If that's the case they should go apply to be a police officer or sheriffs deputy, or heck even a volunteer officer of some sort. But these chl badges are bad news. I wish the sale of these were illegal.