Author Topic: 30.07  (Read 2923 times)

• View Profile
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »
My apartments has posted the 30.07 sign at the entrance gates to my apartment, but we have been told by security we can't open carry on the sidewalk out front of the apartments. I don't open carry and I also thought the sidewalk is public property and yes there is grass that the apartments maintain between the sidewalk and street. So my questions is it legal for me to open carry on the side walk in front of my apartments?

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: 30.07
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »
Are you saying that if I was walking down the sidewalk just going by your apartments and continuing on down the street that your apartment security would/might stop me and tell me that I could not open carry (assuming I was)?

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:13:45 AM »
Neighbor, I think he is saying exactly that - I also think the security guard is overstepping his authority.  When I lived in a house we had a patch of grass between the sidewalk and the curb which we were required to maintain.  The sidewalk, however, was clearly a public sidewalk and we did not have control over that.  In the case in question, I don't see how a security guard working for the apartment complex can tell you that you can't carry on the public sidewalk outside the property line. 

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:53:14 PM »
I think that security guard is way off base, but then I'm not a lawyer either. Be interesting to see what Law Shield folks have to say.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 09:28:28 AM »

If the sidewalk is public property, and not in an area that is private or enclosed in a gated area, then the apartment complex will not be able to prevent license holders from carrying.