Author Topic: Out of state LEO notification of Texas LTC  (Read 16564 times)

holbrla

• I live in a camper with two dogs & motorcycle
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
Out of state LEO notification of Texas LTC
« on: August 01, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »
I just received my Texas LTC - my truck, camper & motorcycle are all registered in Texas and I have a Texas D/L - I am also live in my camper and travel the country - I travel extensively in the north eastern US, specifically Maryland, Massachusetts & New Hampshire and have have elected to leave my firearms in a bank safe deposit box in Texas - for many reasons I avoid New Jersey, the least of which is their anti-firearm attitude -

In Texas if I am stopped by a LEO, I understand that I need to display my LTC as well as my D/L whether or not I have a firearm in my possession - in fact, I would prolly drive just a bit and have my D/L, LTC & insurance card on the dash when I actually stopped to put everyone at ease -

So much for Texas -

I'm wondering if I get stopped in another state, will LEO's know about my Texas LTC in as much as it is so closely related to my Texas D/L -

I don't get stopped much anymore - I generally don't speed, pretty much obey traffic laws and try to keep paperwork current - not a saint, I might roll through an occasional stop sign or not wear a seat belt, but really trivial BS -

So far no out of state LEO has ever mentioned anything about firearms even though I have a Texas D/L -

But I am wondering if I get stopped now, will an out of state LEO find out that I have a Texas LTC - this might arouse his suspicion to the point of a tense, long & messy vehicle search -

Thanks in advance for any info -

Larry

CongoHarry

• View Profile
Re: Out of state LEO notification of Texas LTC
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 03:05:30 PM »
I'm wondering if I get stopped in another state, will LEO's know about my Texas LTC in as much as it is so closely related to my Texas D/L -

But I am wondering if I get stopped now, will an out of state LEO find out that I have a Texas LTC - this might arouse his suspicion to the point of a tense, long & messy vehicle search -

Thanks in advance for any info -

Larry

Given that just about anything can trigger/justify a traffic stop, but absent probable cause or reasonable suspicion, there really wouldn't be much chance of a LEO conducting subsequent search of your vehicle.  They can request your consent to search.  You can always refuse.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Let's, however, say you're traveling through a jurisdiction "hostile" to gun owners (anti-second amendment).  Personal experience: there are quite a few of them in Maryland, Ohio, Illinois, New York...where local law enforcement seeking to "get guns off the street" will target vehicles displaying license plates from "gun friendly" states like Texas, and pull them over.  Washington, D.C., New Jersey, New York, and Maryland have been known to target vehicles displaying Virginia license plates as well.  They make no secret of it. You can safely assume that the officer will run your license plates through NCIC, and will immediately be advised if anybody associated with the vehicle's registration has a concealed weapons permit.  It's a nation-wide automated system.  The officer will likely have that information long before he/she hits the lights and pulls you over.