Author Topic: FL Law - Concealed Carry on School Property  (Read 2004 times)

FLMember

• View Profile
FL Law - Concealed Carry on School Property
« on: September 23, 2016, 12:05:58 PM »
Hello - I did not see this question posted/addressed.  I routinely drop off & pickup my kids from school (car line pickup lanes).  Statutes clearly state no firearms at school "athletic events" or in school "facilities" or "buildings" - got it.  What about just passing through the parking lot & drop-off & pickup lanes?  790.115(2)(a) has an unclear reference to school "property" (exception 3).  Ref FL Statute, Title XLVI, Chapter 790, ref attached.  Thanks!

FLMember

• View Profile
Re: FL Law - Concealed Carry on School Property
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
Also, as a follow-on, the below seems to indicate lawful carry in a vehicle as well...
790.06 (12)(a)15(b) “A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.”

Please clarify: 790.25 (5) states it's lawful to carry an encased firearm WITHOUT A LICENSE.  What if you DO have a license?  Bottom line - if I have a Concealed Carry License, how must I carry in my vehicle?  Can I have it in a waistband holster?   And how does this apply when transiting a school drop-off & pickup zone?

Thanks!

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FL Law - Concealed Carry on School Property
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
FLMember,

In this section “property” includes everything owned by the school. If you do not have a license, then the only way you can have a firearm in your vehicle is if you comply with the requirements of 790.25(5) (see below). Also, be aware that if you are a student or plan on parking on campus, the schools may prohibit possession all together. If you have a license, then you are not subject to penalty under this section pursuant to 790.115(e). With a license you must make sure you comply with 790.06(12) when dealing with schools. A CWFL holder can carry any way they want in their car as long as the firearm is concealed.  It does not need to be securely encased, can be on their person, but MUST be concealed.

790.115(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:
1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.