Author Topic: non-resdient licenses  (Read 4886 times)

trlrider

non-resdient licenses
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:55:34 AM »
Note: Inquiry based on an ongoing argument with a Texas resident with a Florida CHL!

Looking for the stature/code etc. relating to a Texas resident carrying concealed in Texas needing to have an actual Texas license, and that the non-resident Flordia license is not valid to a Texas resident while carrying in Texas!

There has also been allot of chatter in social media of an individual doing CHL classes at various gun shows that gives the Texas Class and Utah and Florida forms at completion of the class.
The individual reportedly has told participants that if their Texas CHL is suspended for a misdeamenor or indictment, that they can still carry under the Utah or Florida license!  Which has pretty much been established that federal law kicks in an prevents such action.  Or at least that is my understanding of the law.

Thank You!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

switch

• View Profile
Re: non-resdient licenses
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »
???? What does the federal have to do with it?
Actually, that is probably correct for FL.  They do not care about misdemeanors.  You could lose your TX CHL and keep your FL license and still be legal to carry in TX.
I presume UT has similar laws to TX.  If you lose your TX license you might lose your UT license.
OTOH, if they had different expiration dates....

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »
trlrider,

The eligibility requirements for each stateís licenses are dictated by that stateís laws, as opposed to federal law. Therefore, if an individual commits a crime that is disqualifying under Texas law, their Texas CHL would be suspended/revoked; however, if it is not a disqualifying factor in that other state, that other stateís license is still valid. However, there are offenses that are disqualifiers (felonies) that could invalidate all of the licenses at once. Ultimately, it is on a state by state basis.

Thank you for your question.

David12

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »
TLS attorney, can you directly answer the question with respect to Texas residents carrying concealed with an out of state non-resident permit?  I ask because there is nothing but unqualified blabbering on the various online forums regarding this important question.  I would like to hear from a qualified TX attorney.  I moved to TX this year, and currently ccw with my FL non-resident permit.  So does my wife.  I see no reason for my wife and I to go through the entire licensing process again here.  I have read the TX statutes on CCW and I see no mention of a TX resident being required to hold a TX ccw permit, unlike some states that specifically state that their residents must have their own state's license.  Thank you for your expertise.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
At risk of being considered unqualified babbling, I suggest you look at the Federal statutes in regard to schools and weapons - specifically as they allow exemption for those with in-state concealed carry licenses. I realize this is a seldom, if ever, enforced Federal law, but it is just another area of vulnerability. I too am interested in seeing TLS's answer.

David12

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »
TLS attorney: by the way, I directly contacted the TX dept of safety's ccw licensing division on their website when moving to the state, and asked them the same question regarding a TX resident's legal ability to ccw with a non-resident other state permit which is recognized in TX.  They basically danced around the question with their answer.  I assumed therefore they did not want to answer it.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »
David12,

There is no requirement that Texans only have Texas CHLís. If you are in possession of a valid license from another state, and that stateís license is recognized by Texas, you are able to legally carry. Note that youíll need to make sure your address on your carry license matches your current residence; for some states, moving out of the state will invalidate the license, but that is on a state-by-state basis. Your Florida non-resident license is recognized in Texas, and therefore you would be able to carry without issue. I hope you found this information helpful; if you have any other questions, feel free to let us know.

Thank you for your question.