Author Topic: Traveling with a firearm  (Read 7289 times)

JAA

Traveling with a firearm
« on: October 11, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »
I am a PA and UT CCW permit holder.  
I am a PA resident.
I routinely travel by car to NY, NJ, MD, DE, WV, OH, VA, NC, SC and Washington DC on business.  
What do I need to know about how to transport, store my handgun in my car, transporting it to the hotel and back into my car along with magazine Rnd limitations and types of ammunition hollow point vs jacketed as I travel to, from and in these states?
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling with a firearm
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »
JAA,

If one of your licenses is recognized, you can carry concealed on your person in that state just as if you were in Pennsylvania/Utah. The states that recognize your licenses are: West Virginia, North Carolina, Virginia, Delaware (Utah only), and Ohio (Utah only)

Places that do not recognize your handgun, and you cannot take your handgun, and will therefore leave it at home: New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Washington D.C.

South Carolina does not recognize your licenses, but luckily you can still have a loaded handgun in the vehicle in the closed glove compartment, console box, or trunk.

Unfortunately, states can have vastly different laws; for the in depth details you’re looking for on the other states, you can consult that state’s attorney general’s website, or that state’s Department of Public Safety / Chief of Police’s website for the answers you’re looking for.

Thank you for your question.

sofiajoe

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:14:50 PM »
I am a resident of PA
I have been told that I can legally purchase a handgun from a VA resident without going through either a VA or PA FFL.
Is this legal?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »
sofiajoe,

Unless you are an FFL yourself, no, you will need to go through an FFL. An unlicensed person (in other words, non-FFL) can only purchase within their own state, or a rifle or shotgun in person from an FFL in another state (provided that the sale complies with both your state and the other state’s laws). In this scenario, you will need to go through an FFL.

frosty

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »
I have a TX CHL.
 Will be traveling through Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, and to Washington D.C.
What can I do with my handgun while staying in D.C.?  Have read their laws, but not sure.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 01:29:01 PM »
frosty,

Unfortunately, if your final destination is D.C., you cannot bring any firearms with you. The registration requirements are still very strict, and have the effect of prohibiting any non-resident traveler to D.C. from possessing any firearm under any circumstances. The 2008 Heller decision made life (slightly) easier for residents of D.C., but folks like you and I are still stuck if we want to travel there.

Thank you for your questions

roklok

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
I routinely travel from Pennsylvania to Florida. I know that I cannot carry in Maryland. Is it permissible to travel thru Maryland with my handgun unloaded and securely locked in a carrying case or the trunk of a vehicle. What about vehicles with no trunk. Passing thru Maryland on a ten mile stretch of Interstate 81.

roklok

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »
Could you please explain the Safe Passage Provision of the Firearm Owners Protection Act? You seem to indicate that this law does not apply when passing through states that do not honor CHL. Just looking to safely travel thru these states and have no desire to linger there.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »
roklok,

Some states, though they do not recognize your CHL, still allow non-license holders to possess firearms in their vehicles. These states pose very few problems for travelers who wish to take their gun into states that do not recognize their CHL. The Safe Passage provision really comes into play when someone is forced to drive through a state where mere possession of a firearm without a state license is prohibited. Under Safe Passage, so long as your journey starts and ends in states where you can legally possess your firearm (not, for example, ending in New York or New Jersey), you may safely pass through states with more restrictive laws. To qualify for this protection, you must store the firearm in the trunk or a locked container, separate from the ammunition, and you must be “travelling.” You will lose this "travelling" protection by stopping in the state for anything more than a restroom or gas stop.