Author Topic: Examples of Company Policy allowing the right to carry  (Read 9298 times)

dougk143

• View Profile
Examples of Company Policy allowing the right to carry
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »
Are there any examples of a company that has a policy that says employees are allowed to carry concealed on company property?

I am looking in to creating a policy here at our office to allow this.   My idea of the policy would require more in-depth classroom training, scenario training and more advanced firearm training on a bi-annual time frame.

Some of the questions that have come up relate to insurance and should the company have an insurance policy regarding this.  Should the employee be required to maintain their own personal liability insurance or should both have insurance.

Or would it be better to just not post any of the 30.06/30.07 signs and just not be aware of employees carrying while at work? 
What could be some of the ramifications to the company if an employee was to use their firearm while on company property in self protection or protection of others if we had a policy stating they are allowed to carry or if there was no policy stating either way and there are no signs posted?

Looking for any advice or thoughts as we approach this subject.

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Examples of Company Policy allowing the right to carry
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:04:10 PM »
Seems to me that actually employees with a license to carry have a right to carry on on your company property unless the owner or person in charge takes that right away from them by posting 30.06 and 30.07 or inserting a "no guns allowed..." in the employee rules and guidelines. My thoughts, and I am certainly not a lawyer, would be to not post or address the issue in employee rules.
Don't know how large your operation is, but if you start adding rules that must be met to carry there, ultimately everyone will know who is carrying - nothing like that would be a secret and I am one that thinks not knowing is one of the plus sides of concealed carry.

dougk143

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:39:43 AM »
We do currently have a policy against weapons and also post the two signs on our doors.  I understand that by simply removing the signs and the policy will allow us to legally carry but that would allow anyone who is licensed to then carry, and some of the people who are licensed frighten me with their lack of understanding and ability to handle a firearm properly.  That is why I would like to have a policy to restrict some of these people until they can go through some more in-depth training.

From what I have found in researching this, it may be best to just remove the signs and policy and be done with it.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:03:07 PM »
I understand your concerns, however, historically concealed carry folks have a pretty good track record.

Not sure how large your company is but, yes, by putting requirements in your employee rules for being allowed to carry, you could force additional training for the priviledge of carrying at work, but the signs on the doors are "all or nothing" for the public (i.e. you don't know the good or questionable about anyone).

Another thought: unless you have metal detectors you don't know if there are weapons coming in your workplace or not. You are probably keeping out most of the ones carried by LTC folks, but what about the other 90% of folks - some of whom just carry and don't care about signs or rules?

Bodeneth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 02:19:00 AM »
I am not a lawyer, but I have an opinion on this topic.

If it were me in your shoes, being the officer or mgr of the company who has the authority to change the rules in the employee handbook, I would simply edit out the current anti-gun / anti-weapon rules, and re-issue a new updated version to every employee. I would also remove the .06 sign. Additionally, I would update other parts of the handbook as well, so it wont lool like the handgun rule is the only reason for the update.

Now, having said all that, I would NOT bring attn to my actions by specifically saying something like..."hey folks...you'll notice that the .06 sign is no longer on the door." Inevitably you will have employees come to you either privately, or during an employee meeting, and ask you...."so are we to assume that its cool to concealed carry in the building now?" Your response could be, just adhere to the updated company policies and signage on the entries, and you will be fine.

Calling attn to the revised policy might freak out employees who are anti-gun, and appear as if you WANT people to carry guns in your building.

Lastly, I would replace the current gun related parts of the employee handbook with something along the lines of....The carrying of a firearm on company property without possessing a valid state issued LTC /CHL permit is prohibited. Open carry of a firearm on company property, or otherwise displaying a firearm is forbidden. Additionally, any employee engaging in any behavior or activities that are deemed negligent of common safety protocols,  or that provoke fear or violence related responses in the workplace will be considered to be in violation of company policy. Violation of these policies will result in severe immediate disciplonary action up to and including termination on the first offense.

Those additions would emphasize that while concealed carry is ok, you dont allow any display of handguns, and will pounce on any behavior meant to scare or enrage their fellow employees as a result of their concealed carry in the workplace. Hopefully that would keep those certain people you mentioned from doing anything stupid.