Author Topic: Church Security  (Read 423 times)

dustythejones

• View Profile
Church Security
« on: March 23, 2017, 02:11:08 PM »
I have heard that there is new development in the laws allowing individual members of churches to form a security and legally carry their firearms. Does anyone know if this is true?

Rockriver

• View Profile
Re: Church Security
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:50:02 PM »
While you're waiting for a lawyer to answer, here's some current info for Texas.  (You probably already know about this, but it may be of interest to others). 

http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/PSB/Laws/psb_opin_sum.htm

Jake-KC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:30:56 PM »
Great video about Pastors packing heat.  Not long and well worth the view.  I am looking forward to the TLS/USLS Attorney reply.

http://abc22now.com/news/local/special-report-pastors-packing-heat

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »
dustythejones,

As Rockriver pointed out, typically a security commission is required to act as security for a church. While an LTC holder who attends a church (that doesn’t prohibit carrying) may carry, the rules change if you are part of a group that intends to provide security. Keep in mind that this will likely apply even if the group is called something other than security, like “eyes and ears” or the “welcome team.” If an individual intends to volunteer in one of these capacities then they may not carry or wear anything that identifies themselves as security, regardless of whether or not they possess an LTC.

dustythejones

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
Thank you all for your responses! This helps very much.

Out of curiosity, do you know if there are any changes in the current law coming that may allow a 'Joe Blow' member to serve on a volunteer security team while carrying?

kmedcalf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
dustythejones,

You probably have heard that a bill has been introduced in the Texas Legislature to change that, and that is true. It is HB421.

However, that has not passed yet. It has been passed through committee and sent with a favorable recommendation to the House, but must still pass there, then sent to the Senate, pass there, and then signed into law by the governor.

If all that happens, it would be effective on September 1, 2017.

dustythejones

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:56:28 AM »
kmedcalf,

Thanks for the response, that is exactly what I was looking for.

switch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:10:06 PM »
There was a case where a DA in a liberal city made noises about a 'security' team in a mega church.
I doubt if it would be a problem in most areas.  To be cautious, I would NOT call it security. :)  There is nothing to stop you from carrying as an usher, greeter, etc.  However, I would NOT limit membership to LTC's.