Author Topic: Laws for having a handgun in a car for Colorado  (Read 528 times)

William77

• View Profile
Laws for having a handgun in a car for Colorado
« on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
My wife asked a question about taking a handgun with her when riding in someones car as a passenger.  Is it legal to have this gun concealed or does it have to be exposed in plane sight?  She does not have a Concealed Carry Permit.  Also how do you secure this weapon when you exit the vehicle to go shopping, lunch etc.
Thanks Bill

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Laws for having a handgun in a car for Colorado
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
William77,

She does not need a concealed permit to travel in her or another person/s vehicle with her firearm and it can be legally concealed within the vehicle during travels. Actually I advise that this is the best practice when driving. She also may transport the handgun concealed from the vehicle to her residence without a permit. This is a little tenuous since technically she is concealing the weapon without a permit. However, it would be unlawful for her to otherwise transport her handgun concealed to shop etc.
This problem is exacerbated if she resides in Denver and elects to open carry  since open carry is illegal in Denver County. I strongly recommend that she obtains a concealed weapons permit in the county wherein she resides. This will eliminate the need to open carry anywhere and  avoid being in violation of carrying concealed without a permit in transporting her firearm. Also be aware that a private property owner (Mall movie theater restaurant etc) may disallow her lawful ability to carry concealed or otherwise on their private property. Hope this helps. 

William77

• View Profile
Re: Laws for having a handgun in a car for Colorado
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 01:32:45 PM »
Thanks for the info, I think the best thing is for her to get a concealed permit.
Thanks again Bill