Author Topic: My obligations to keep gun from children  (Read 309 times)

debgary1

• View Profile
My obligations to keep gun from children
« on: March 26, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »
I go to extreme measures to make sure there is no unauthorized access to my guns.  In my home, the guns are locked in a safe with chamber locks.  In my car, they are locked in the glove compartment with chamber locks.  Clearly, this means the guns are not readily accessible to me and certainly not ready to fire in an emergency.  I do this because of the liability associated with a minor getting his hands on a ready-to-fire gun.

My question is this:  If my gun is in a locked safe in a locked home or in a locked glove compartment in a locked car, in a ready to fire state, am I protected from liability?

Thank you!

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My obligations to keep gun from children
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
debgary1,

In the penal code section that deals with firearms being accessible to children, the law looks at whether you knew or should have known that a child would gain access to the firearm and whether or not it was secure. The law defines secure as, to take steps that a reasonable person would take to prevent the access to a readily dischargeable firearm by a child, including but not limited to placing a firearm in a locked container or temporarily rendering the firearm inoperable by a trigger lock or other means.
With this definition in mind, you would be able to store your firearms in either location without the chamber locks because they are placed inside locked containers.

debgary1

• View Profile
Re: My obligations to keep gun from children
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
Thanks ... that's much more clear to me now.