Author Topic: 30.06 for parking garage  (Read 529 times)

vutekho

• View Profile
30.06 for parking garage
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »
The parking garage at the Highland Village shopping center located at 4048 Westheimer Rd in Houston, has some 30.06/30.07 signs posted at its entrance for vehicles. It also has the signs from when the customers exit the garage on foot.

However, the entrance from which customers can walk through on foot, does not have the signage. And the stores are outdoor, and none of the stores I went to have a 30.06/30.07 sign.

So my question is, are we not allow to drive into the parking garage at all with a weapon?

Are we allow to drive into the parking garage, but cannot exit the vehicle with a concealed weapon?

When we enter the parking garage through the entrance without the sign posted, only upon exiting the garage, will we see the signs. At what point have we broken the law?

Are those signs only for the parking garage, or are they for the entire Highland Village shopping center (including restaurants, clothing stores, etc)?

What I've been doing, is park on the street and ignored the parking garage. My understanding is every entrance must have a sign posted with 30.06/30.07 for them to lawfully prevent one from entering a property.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 30.06 for parking garage
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »
vutekho,

Unfortunately this is a bit of a complicated question because we donít have any court cases to shine light on this issue. However, because the statute uses the word property instead of premises, an entity could post a sign at a parking garage and prohibit carry in that area. You would still be able to have the firearm in the vehicle, but you would not be able to carry outside of the vehicle. When we look at the rest of the property, if you can access the area or a business without passing a 30.06 sign, then there is at least an argument that it not a prohibited area or that you were not properly given notice that carry was prohibited.