Author Topic: FID App question - for NJ State  (Read 269 times)

tj4214

• View Profile
FID App question - for NJ State
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
Asking for advice: Do you have to be cleared by a doctor if you had medications years back, but now you are no longer taking any medications ? Or do you simply say YES to the FID Application and then appeal ?

Question regarding NJ's  State of NJ Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit [S.T.S 033(Rev. 09/09), it states: (26): "Have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition?  If yes, give the name and location of the institution or hospital and dates(s) of such confinement or commitment."

Situation:
To keep my buddy's name private, he is over 21 years of age, and off medications for 7 years now.  While a youth in High School, he was diagnosed with ADD by a psychiatrist, and therefore took medications.

Question: So, is it a Felony for my buddy to states: NO to this question?  In other words, given HIPA and given the fact that he was under age, is he exempt from answering this item (26) ?  Does this question only apply to age of 18 and older ?  Also, this question I have might apply to many adults that at a youth took medications for ADD by a psychiatrist. 

On the other hand, if he states: YES, does he have to be CLEARED now by another psychiatrist stating that as of today, that he is of sound mind to apply for a FID in NJ ?  If so, is there a suggested Form  you can provide to have this adult reinstated/cleared by a doctor to apply for the FID app ?  And can this be a psychologist or does it have to be a psychiatrist ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:57:29 PM by tj4214 »