Author Topic: Zona Caliente Sports Bar shooting in Arlington, May 4th 2017  (Read 2388 times)

TXMarineRepair

• View Profile
I don't know how far and wide this story circulated in Texas but a man went into Zona Caliente Sports Bar in Arlington and started yelling and being belligerent.  When the restaurant manager approached him, the troublemaker pulled a gun and killed the manager. From news reports the shooter then fired a couple of other shots before a LTC/CHL holder drew his weapon and killed the shooter. The Arlington Police announced publicly that the LTC/CHL holder would not face charges and in fact was a hero who probably prevented many more dead.  The troublemaker as it turns out had two handguns and a knife.

A great story about the advantages and potential life savings that legal firearms holders can provide. (Yeah Texas!!)  But I was wondering if technically the LTC/CHL holder violated the law by taking a firearm into the bar in the first place.  I guess it depends on whether the bar gets 51% of its revenue from alcohol. If they do, and a DA in Arlington wants to be a prick, I think he could charge him, correct?  Don't get me wrong, I think the guy was a hero and deserves the thanks from everyone in the bar. Just wondering if the DA could charge him.  Anyone know the answer?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/arlington/2017/05/03/two-people-killed-third-wounded-arlington-restaurant-shooting-reports-say

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Zona Caliente Sports Bar shooting in Arlington, May 4th 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
According to a news article I pulled up, the police spokesman said the Alcohol Beverage Commision listed the club as a Blue sign meaning it was not a 51% business. He did comment that there was some confusion because there was actually both a red and blue sign posted but said he felt like the red sign was in error.

Surely no DA is going to try and make something out of this!

TXMarineRepair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »
Thanks Neighbor for the reply.  I didn't see any discussion of the 51% or not so I am glad you found that info.  And while I agree that no DA in their right mind would go after the LTC/CHL holder, there are a few crazy DA's out there who don't believe in the right to carry.  It might be funny if someone tried. They would get excoriated by everyone ....

jimbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »
The Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission (TABC) website lets you to search establishments to find out if they have a Red (51%) or Blue sign.  http://www.tabc.texas.gov/PublicInquiry/Status.aspx
The Zona Caliente Sports Bar does show up as Blue.

And if you were wondering if the shooter could be sued by the murder's family, per Wikipedia:
"... two statutes of the Texas Civil Practice And Remedies Code protect people who justifiably threaten or use deadly force. Chapter 86 prohibits a person convicted of a misdemeanor or felony from filing suit to recover any damages suffered as a result of the criminal act or any justifiable action taken by others to prevent the criminal act or to apprehend the person, including the firing of a weapon. Chapter 83 of the same code states that a person who used force or deadly force against an individual that is justified under TPC Chapter 9 is immune from liability for personal injury or death of the individual against whom the force was used. This law does not prevent a person from being sued for using deadly force. The civil court will determine if the defendant was justified under chapter 9 of the Penal Code."

TXMarineRepair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 08:19:50 PM »
Great info JimBob.  Did not know about the TABC website. Thanks!