Author Topic: National Parks in Oklahoma  (Read 346 times)

egris52788

• View Profile
National Parks in Oklahoma
« on: May 10, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
I am a carry license holder in Oklahoma.  Please confirm that I can carry in National / Federal Parks (except buildings)?  I am being told at my gun range that I can only carry in state parks. 

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: National Parks in Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 05:16:44 PM »
egris52788,

Federal law applies state law to the possession of guns in national parks. Since Oklahoma allows license holders to carry in state parts (excluding structures and buildings), the same will apply in National Parks.  21 O.S. 1277

egris52788

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »
is a rented cabin considered a prohibited structure in an Oklahoma State Park? i get the prohibition in the common lodge, other public buildings in the park, but my rented cabin?   >:(

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 01:27:26 PM »
egris52788,

TITLE 21 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed or unconcealed handgun into any of the following places: 1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

A rented cabin, located in a public park, is owned by the state, if the cabin is in a State Park; but, the cabin is not operated by the State for the purpose of conducting State Business with the public. A shack where you buy fishing licenses, a concession stand, bait house or other building operated by the State for purposes of conducting business would qualify as doing business with the public; however, it is our opinion that a cabin rented for one's family use does not qualify under the State's purpose of conducting business with the public. The public is excluded from entering one's private cabin.