Author Topic: Attack on Pets by Wildlife  (Read 608 times)

Mani8448

• View Profile
Attack on Pets by Wildlife
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
Hello all,

I read a Houston Chronicle story today about wild dogs attacking pets and how animal control in Houston will not help/is not responsible for those types of attacks. The agency that would be responsible was unreachable and only seems to have 16 people working the field from what I took away from the story.  I can't post the link but it should be easy to hunt down should you wish to read it.

Has there been any TXLS article or video done on the subject of defending your pets from wildlife attacks? Also I suppose defending them from human attacks would be an interesting topic as well.

I did search the forum for PET, WILDLIFE, DOG and received 0 results so I hope I am not asking an age old question here.

Thank you all.

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Attack on Pets by Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:18:31 PM »
Found this in the "Ask the Lawyers" section

TexasLawShield
Administrator
View Profile  Email

Re: Coverage if I shoot a dog
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
drdriller,

There is no general right to use force or deadly force against a dog that is attacking a human. The Texas Health & Safety Code has authorized the killing of a dog or coyote if it is attacking a domestic animal, livestock or fowl, but not a human. There is a self-defense provision contained in the cruelty to animal’s crime, but it only applies to attacks from "dangerous wild animals", however, dogs are not in this category. A person who is charged with a crime resulting from defending themselves or another, would have to rely on the defense of necessity, showing that to not commit a crime would actually result in a worse consequence. Such as, to not shoot an attacking dog would result in a mauled child. Keep in mind that if a person does use a firearm to kill a dog, that they could not only be charged with cruelty to animals, but also any of the gun crimes, i.e. display by a concealed license holder, disorderly conduct, deadly conduct, discharge in a municipality, or discharge in violation of municipal ordinance. Related to your specific circumstance, it would most likely be a question which would have to be decided by a judge or jury. TLS reviews each case on a case-by-case basis. In the situation you provided, barring other circumstances, this would be covered by TLS.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:20:13 PM by Neighbor »