Author Topic: Can a friend who does not have an LTC transport my handgun in Texas  (Read 534 times)

BRD

• View Profile
I left my handgun at my parents house while visiting in Houston. I live in San Antonio for school.

Can a friend of mine who is 21 pick up my handgun in Houston and transport it to me in San Antonio? He does not have an LTC.
What would happen if an officer found out about the gun in a traffic stop? If the officer were to look up the serial number on the firearm, obviously my name would come up, what would happen?
Thanks

Bodeneth

• View Profile
IANAL, but it seems to me that this would fall under the Texas state laws on carrying in a vehicle.

My non lawyer opinion is that an adult who is not a criminal or otherwise banned from owning or being in possession of a firearm can legally carry a concealed handgun in their car. Ownership of the gun is neither here nor there unless the gun has been reported as stolen. Since it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in a car, if your friend were to be pulled over for speeding or whatever, chances are nothing would even be mentioned about it. But if your friend is the shady type who likes to speed, driving a souped up hotrod with loud pipes and windows tinted very dark, and there's a scent of weed in the car, and he ends up being told that his vehicle is about to be searched, it might be wise to tell the officer ahead of time that there is a firearm in the car. But a non criminal simply having a concealed handgun in the car isnt a big deal as long as he doesnt go reaching for it while the police officer is standing at his window.

I look forward to seeing a lawyer's response to your question.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can a friend who does not have an LTC transport my handgun in Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
BRD,

As is stated above, TPC 46.02 allows for anyone who is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing firearms to carry a handgun concealed in a vehicle that they own or a vehicle that is under their control. The ownership of firearm is not a requirement for possession.