Author Topic: Question about car carry  (Read 494 times)

Bodeneth

• View Profile
Question about car carry
« on: May 31, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
I live in Texas. I realize it is legal to have a concealed handgun in your car, even if you dont have a LTC.

Ques 1...If you do have a LTC, is it legal to drive around with your handgun in a holster mounted on the side of the center console in plain view? Or does an openly carried handgun HAVE to actually be holstered ON the body of the license holder?

Ques 2....If, while in a car, I transport my handgun in a gun rug lying on the passenger seat in a manner that the gun itself cannot be seen, is it considered to be concealed?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about car carry
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
Bodeneth,

A license holder may only carry a firearm openly in a vehicle if it is contained in a belt or shoulder holster on or about their person. It is not clear in the law if a steering column holster would be considered a belt or shoulder holster or if having the firearm in a belt or shoulder holster off of your body would be legal. At this point in time it would be a risk to carry it in either of these manners. While it could eventually be determined that one or both of these methods is legal, you would be the test case.

As for a concealed firearm, as long as it is not in plain view it is legal. This means that a towel covering the firearm would provide for a concealed firearm.