Author Topic: Another question about SB 1942 Relating to keeping firearm in vehicle...  (Read 830 times)

Berumen96

• View Profile
I currently work at a public school in Texas and the district's policy states that if I have a firearm on school property at any time, including the parking lot, or anywhere a school activity for the district is taking place (including in my vehicle stowed out of sight while parked outside the school) then I could be terminated (please do note that I have a valid LTC).  Are you saying that after this is signed in they will not be able to terminate me for keeping my firearm secured in my vehicle while at work if I chose to do so?  Thanks for the clarification.

Neighbor

• View Profile
Lawyer reply to same question:

TexasLawShield
Administrator
View Profile  Email

Re: SB 1942 Relating to the transportation or storage of a handgun..school lot
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:22:13 PM »
Berumen96,

This is correct. When this law goes into effect on September 1, your employer will not be able to terminate you for keeping your firearm concealed and secured in your vehicle for so long as you have a valid LTC.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Berumen96,

Unfortunately SB 1942 did not pass.

Neighbor

• View Profile
If my information is correct, although SB1942 did not pass, I understand the language from that same bill was added to SB1566 (page 11) at the last minute by Hefner and that bill did pass and was signed by the govenor. Please correct me if this is not the case.

switch

• View Profile
Thanks, I'd missed that. :(
 Sec 37-0815(a) 

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Neighbor,

You are correct. This bill does have the same language that restricts a school’s ability to prohibit employees who hold a valid LTC from storing a handgun in their vehicle. After September 1, if an employee with an LTC is terminated for this reason, they would have administrative and judicial remedies available to challenge the termination.