Author Topic: First aid after you shoot?  (Read 201 times)

Bodeneth

• View Profile
First aid after you shoot?
« on: July 08, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »
My car is my office, so after my job is complete at any given location I may sit in my car doing paperwork or sending emails for 30min or an hour before driving to the next address I need to visit. No matter how public the place I've chosen to park is, inevitably I always feel a little exposed, as if someone could walk up from a blind spot and stick a gun or knife in my face at any moment while I am focused on my phone or computer. In fact, this daily scenario is one of the primary reasons I got my Tx LTC in the first place.

In the event something were to happen, and I am forced to shoot someone at my window trying to rob me, I am well aware of what Tx Law Shield suggests I need to do. Hypothetically, I do everything right and I'm waiting for Johnny Law and the ambulance to show up. What should I do, if anything, to help the idiot I just shot?

Although he deserved what he got, I am Human and I have a heart. Should I just lean up against my car smoking a marlboro, waiting for everyone to arrive, watching this guy bleed out in agony, or should I render some kind of aid to qwell any obvious bleeding etc to try and slow down his transition from life to death?

I am not a trained first responder, but I know how to put pressure on a bleeding wound. My question is....should I ?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: First aid after you shoot?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 03:33:37 PM »
Bodeneth,

This is more of a moral decision as opposed to a legal decision. You are not legally required to render aid. Also, there is a statute in the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code that protects you from civil liability if you choose to help the person. Be aware that if you choose to help, you must continue doing so until emergency personnel arrive.
Sec. 74.152.   UNLICENSED MEDICAL PERSONNEL.  Persons not licensed or certified in the healing arts who in good faith administer emergency care as emergency medical service personnel are not liable in civil damages for an act performed in administering the care unless the act is wilfully or wantonly negligent.  This section applies without regard to whether the care is provided for or in expectation of remuneration.