Author Topic: Transfer ownership of firearm  (Read 473 times)

fallenx89

• View Profile
Transfer ownership of firearm
« on: July 09, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
Hi, I would like to know what needs to be done legally so that my uncle who is a resident of Indiana (though just moved to Texas) can sell/gift me a firearm of his. Would a bill of sale suffice or do I need to get an FFL involved or possibly would Indiana law require additional steps?

shorthairptr

• View Profile
Re: Transfer ownership of firearm
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »
If you do NOT know the person then I'd pay the FFL fee. However, if its a family member in the past I searched online and found documents that i was able to print out and have both parties sign. If this gun gets stolen he would still be contacted because hes the last known owner but the paperwork relieves him of any responsibilities.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer ownership of firearm
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
fallenx89,

A private sale may only take place between residents of the same state. This applies even to family members. If there is any question or doubt surrounding a personís state of residence, you should go to a local FFL and have them facilitate the transfer (usually for a minimal fee).
If both parties are residents of the same state, then an informal bill of sale that lists the parties, home addresses, as well as the make, model, and serial number of the firearms being sold will be sufficient. Date, sign, and keep a copy of the bill of sale for your records.