Author Topic: Texas Law Regarding Shooting a Dog  (Read 304 times)

SirJerryTX

• View Profile
Texas Law Regarding Shooting a Dog
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:14:19 PM »
I'm an animal lover, but sometimes things don't go well.  Last week someone's dog attacked my cat and nearly killed him.  Surgery was successful and he survived.  But that brings me to my question:

My cat prowls around the golf course (where I live).  People walk their dogs there.  Some let their dogs off the leash.  One lady is also known for letting her dog chase and attack cats and small dogs.  I did not witness if she was the person in this case or not.  But I want to know what are my rights in any event.

If I see a dog chasing and/or attacking my cat, can I shoot it (in Texas)?

It would be possible that the dog is on my property, but in general let's assume the attack is either on public property or common areas where dogs are required to be on a leash.

I live in Houston, just in case that triggers any local ordinances.   

Again - I don't want to, and do not anticipate having to, shoot any animal.  I'm just trying to find out the law on this.   

Bob Maverick

• View Profile
Re: Texas Law Regarding Shooting a Dog
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »
This link will likely answer your question concerning Texas state law. I'm not qualified to interpret or explain the details and implications. I suspect civil litigation may be more of an issue than any criminal charges if you kill someone's pet.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/HS/htm/HS.822.htm

See Title 10, Chapter 822, Sub chapter B,  section 822.013 (1)

Best Regards,
Bob

SirBobsalot

• View Profile
Re: Texas Law Regarding Shooting a Dog
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
Based on my experience...

In addition to legal repercussions you should be prepared to face public harassment.  I know of a case where a man had to kill a dog and many dog lovers protested and harassed him because of it, while no one showed any concern for the victim of a sexual assault case happening in the next courtroom.   

There is so much involved in any shooting these days that it is almost impossible to plan for every contingency.