Author Topic: Hard case when travelling  (Read 2121 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Hard case when travelling
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
I am conflicted about the requirements under federal law when travelling by car.  Is it required to have a firearm locked in a HARD case or not.when going through resriticted states   or just a locked container?  Also must ammo be seperate from the firearm and also locked in a seperate container    I dont see any mention of HARD container or a requirement to have ammo seperated, in the so called safe passage law but , Many sites including the NRA state these requirement, and please i would like an attorneys answer not someones what they think it is


  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
    • View Profile
Re: Hard case when travelling
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »

The federal “Safe Passage” law found in 18 USC 926A, requires only that your firearm be unloaded, locked in a container, and inaccessible. The law does not specify whether the container must be hard or soft, simply that it lock.

Further, under the federal law, ammunition need only be locked in a container. There is no specification that this be a separate container. Therefore, any type of locking container would be considered legal and ammunition may be in the same container as a firearm.

Even so, it is always best to consult with your independent program attorney before taking any trips in the event your destination state has different gun laws than your home state.