Author Topic: Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey  (Read 872 times)

Al

• View Profile
Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »
I read the guidelines here:

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

So I'm clear of the instructions if I own a car.
However, I own a pickup and I also have a safe installed in the center console. (this exact model)

Would I still be breaking the law by storing a gun (or ammo) in this secure spot that would not be accessible by anyone besides myself with the combination and key?
Would it make a difference if I store a gun here that it in another secure safe like this one?

Al

Rich L

• View Profile
Re: Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
As long as it is accessible to you, or anyone else, NO.  I have a locked box in the cargo area of my pickup.   
Not a lawyer, just a NJ shooter.  Even then you better be on the way to range, gunsmith, etc, or driving thru.

Richard L.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:15:20 PM by NJ102639 »

Al

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
Yes, I know the exceptions as far as going to and from within the state.
Just trying to clarify legal safe locations to store gear vs just under the seat or in the bed where it could be visible.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 03:29:37 PM »
Al,

With a New Jersey Firearms Purchasers ID Card, transport of longarms is lawful as long as the gun is unloaded. It techically does not even have to be cased.

Handguns are more strict and one must always be within an excemption under NJS 2C:39-6, unless the person has a Carry Permit. Federal law for going through NJ in interstate transportation is USC 18:962A and might apply if one is only passing through NJ.

One can not just drive around in NJ with a handgun, even a cased, locked and unloaded one. One always has to be under an exemption, be under Federal law, or have a NJ Carry Permit.