Author Topic: Legal in Colorado to carry someone elses handgun?  (Read 745 times)

pcoupal50

• View Profile
Legal in Colorado to carry someone elses handgun?
« on: August 31, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
I have a Colorado CCW. Is it legal for me to concealed carry a handgun that is not registered to me? I've seen a few similar posts that say it is but none were specific to Colorado. Which also begs the question...Is the law the same for all states or is a state by state issue?

Thanks

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Legal in Colorado to carry someone elses handgun?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
pcoupal50,

Letís start with the proposition that a Concealed permit is issued to the person, not any specific firearm.  Therefore the authorization is personal to the permit in that the person issued the permit has been found by a local Sheriff who is authorized to issue the permit has done the required background check of the individual seeking and obtaining the permit. Therefore, if the person has the authorization, it would follow that they are allowed to possess any firearm that is a lawful firearm under the applicable state law. I believe it is relatively safe to assume that this same legal analysis would be applicable in most if not all states since it is my understanding the issuance is based upon the person, not the firearm.  Likewise, if a particular firearm is unlawful under a state law, it is most likely unlawful under federal law and therefore, the fact that a person has a Conceal permit would not enable them to possess an firearm that is unlawful under federal or state law.  Hope this helps.