Author Topic: Squatters in Colorado  (Read 6862 times)

JacobSmith54

• View Profile
Squatters in Colorado
« on: September 16, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »
Good Afternoon,

I recently read a story about a couple homeless people who broke into a house while the owner was on vacation.  They then proceeded to change the locks, and black out all the windows.  The law says the owner of the house has to evict them.  Would this be a scenario where the owner could break into their own home, let the squatters know they are unwelcome and that he is armed and can defend himself against them?  I would love to hear your thoughts on this issue as it sparked my interest and questioned what would I do if this situation happened to me.

Hueyville

• View Profile
Re: Squatters in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 06:32:29 AM »
While not a resident of Colorado or a lawyer I would say the owner unfortunately has to follow the letter of the law or risk a criminal charge that might cost them their right to own or carry a firearm. As an owner of multiple rental properties from a hotel in the past to rental homes and commercial property once someone has occupied a property, a legal eviction is sometimes the only option. In the hotel was able to fairly roughly remove someone that refused to pay or leave but in houses the Georgia rules are much different. Even if tenant has no written lease and paid no money it generally takes 90 days to go through the process.

During 2008 through 2012 while the economy was so bad after evicting a few people from homes we owned began doing it for a couple local banks. They were giving us multiple houses per week and our hard rule was until a local law enforcement agent met us with a judges order for eviction the people were not approached. The day law enforcement was scheduled had a licensed locksmith to open front door and officer was first to enter. Even with knocking, loud verbal orders to open and cars in driveway we usually found people in the house. One particular house there was a BMW 735, Mercedes S class and new Honda Goldwing in the garage. Found former owners wife hiding in a closet protecting a floor safe. She was Asian, had poor English skills and when officer told her to move vehicles from garage she claimed could not drive. We did not know if legally allowed to move vehicles, officer didn't know but wife handed over the keys and deputy said in his opinion that implied permission to move them onto street. Husband showed up in middle of this wearing a custom business suit and driving a Porsche Cayenne. Was a very strange time as most of our "jobs" were million dollar homes in gated communities. One property was occupied by a lawyer and took bank over a year to get a judge to issue eviction orders. That man tried to go Kujo on us but a dozen burly men, law enforcement plus my brother and I wearing overt armor openly carrying weapons got us through a few sketchy evictions and don't even ask about our six months of car repossesion.

We generally had four hours before law enforcement left, house was to be empty and locks changed. Would have a dozen or more temps to help and immediately on officer entering and serving papers had all furniture on Right of Way of road and off property, vehicles parked on street while locksmith changed locks. Was an interesting time but even in houses we owned learned real fast letter of law is to be followed. Being a regular visitor to Colorado (at least twice a year for over 25 years) have learned it's taken quite a California type liberal political turn. I would for sure go through a legal eviction unless local sheriff or police chief was best friend and sent officers to treat it as a burglary or home invasion. Boulder is strife with transients that rent mini-storage space, convert it to residential then stop paying rent and ride out their free 90 day legal eviction time. Go to towns like Ward and will find squatters living in shacks made of cardboard or holes dug in side of a hill. Unfortunately feel in urban areas is another lost state.

No matter the state, once initial call is made to law enforcement would never exceed the decision officers on scene were willing to enforce. If they dont remove people then lawyers are your best option. Otherwise might find the squatters winning ownership of home in civil court action. It's unfortunate but owning the property does not give one the right to do as please in all situations. We purchased a mobile home park when doing rental houses and hotel with the best day of life being the day last of it was sold except for commercial properties where occupants must keep business licenses and occupancy permits current which usually aids in legally removing them as usually are in default on their business permitting or licensing when stop paying their rent.