Author Topic: Carrying an "expensive" handgun  (Read 5183 times)

yabu

• View Profile
Carrying an "expensive" handgun
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:53:16 AM »
Believe it or not, this was an active topic on another forum I used to post on.  If you are ever involved in a shooting incident we all know that the police are probably going to confiscate your weapon as evidence.  Getting it back can be a hassle as has been noted by the lawyers here.  Having your $1300. Colt 1911 confiscated is painful to say the least.  So the question was should you carry a gun you are willing to lose if the police take it?  The consensus on that forum was you should carry the least expensive gun that is reliable and that you are comfortable with.  Reliability, of course, was a big factor.  Some people carry guns in the $400. range and feel perfectly comfortable do so.  I carry a gun in that price range myself.  I don't often carry my 1911 simply because it is an expensive weapon and I don't want have it confiscated and then go through the hassle of getting it back.  I'm curious how others here feel about this issue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

spanman

• View Profile
Re: Carrying an "expensive" handgun
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:01:30 AM »
I agree dependable is my choice.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
Interesting consideration. Don't guess I've considered what to carry based on "can I accept it being confiscated."  For sure I'm going to carry what I have confidence in - both reliability and my ability to shoot it. My initial thought was, "why own something you are afraid to use." However, after thinking about it a little more I realize there are various weapons that fit different needs (i.e. home protection vs. daily carry or possibly even investment). I will say the odds of using a weapon and then having it confiscated might be lower than the chances of having it stolen from your house or even having a house fire. I had the experience of having one of my carry weapons (among other things) stolen from my house while I was away at work carrying my "better" CC weapon. Neither was over $500 in value, but I was glad I had my Shield on me if I had to lose one of my carry weapons.

Ratherbshootin

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
If you weren't convicted of doing anything illegal, you should be able to recieve your weapon back. I prefer to carry a handgun that not only is 100% reliable but one that I am also proficient with. The odds of me being killed in a confrontaion due to inferior firepower outwieghs the odds of losing my firearm. So yes, I carry a $1200 gun.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:17:09 AM »
The price isn't as important as reliability. That being said why and how do you put a price on the life of yourself and your loved ones? Thank God no one on that forum was on the budgeting armed forces service committee otherwise in my line I woulda had a slingshot!!!

EdO

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »
What MIO said!   Just carry what you are comfortable and proficient with.  If you get in a slam and need to use it,  the cost of the firearm is going to be the least of your worries.  That said,  there are a host of extremely reliable firearms on the market in the 4 to 6 hundred dollar range.  If all you have is a 1200 dollar something,  it's cheap too in relation to your life.