Author Topic: Church Security Website Help, Please!!!  (Read 211 times)

Hueyville

• View Profile
Church Security Website Help, Please!!!
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
This is not a plug for my new website but appeal for help.

Saw the thread asking about Florida church security laws and am wrestling with same subject in Georgia. Have spent over two decades doing volunteer security in whatever church the Lord had me in at the time. Remember in late 1960's when following an incident in our family church in Marietta GA, went with my father to buy his first handgun. He was a deacon of a very large church and following the incident which as a second grader do not remember any details, but going to the gun store with dad is ingrained in my mind. All deacons armed themselves and were the church security as thus seen it as an issue going back to childhood. My father was deacon till death and always carried in church.

I joined US Law shield when realized church was acting Head of Security with a dozen men under me had "opted out", dropped their written approval for carry on campus without telling the team. Spent two weeks trying to resolve the issue and due to budget issues staff said they could not afford to "opt in" or form a legal Blue Card armed security team. Felt forced to resign as was the scapegoat if staff claimed had no idea a group was violating church rules and conducting security work post incident.

Pastor asked team to keep their posts based on his verbal permission but in no way could I get a document, email or even text message saying had permission to carry on campus. 27 paid staff members but wanted free security team and not carry additional insurance to "opt in" so we were walking past weapons free campus signs. As Head of Security they had been to several security classes where taught what my church has was doing violated Georgia law. I hated leaving my decade of service and church home over this but felt I could not break state law because pastor and staff wanted to save money on churches liability insurance.

Right now discussing taking same position with eight churches that have a positive "opt in" policy but say cannot afford to certify security team with Georgia Blue Cards for armed security guards. My information says paid or volunteer, if working on a "armed team", then certification is required but information came from training consultants not lawyers. Since the recent church shooting in Texas decided to use my knowledge to build a totally free website to help churches build quality security teams and procedures. It is currently running as a sub domain of an old website I have and until the Texas event was working on an AR 15 website which have put on hold.

Once the site is at least halfway to point I want am keeping on my personal server but once have it polished plan to host on dedicated server out of my pocket. I really need people well versed or at least know the basics of what a church can and cannot do in a particular state to write a page or more concerning their laws on church security. I cannot afford to pay lawyers in dozens of states for this but would give links on any pages they offered to their site or sites of their choosing. Have U.S. Lawshield link on my links page already. To see what have done in past few weeks go to www.ChurchSecuritySystems.com and all feedback is appreciated. Whether legal advice, tactics or documentation. Will take articles from experienced church security team members as well.

Have caught sexual predators, faced people with intent to shoot up a church and team was able to control the situation with nobody hurt nor service interrupted. Want to take a new post but until feel confident in legal requirements am hesitant to find myself in a legal mess because improperly informed. Also don't want to pass up an opportunity to help due to unmerited legal paranoia. All advice, help and corrections are appreciated. My best web address for this project is on the website. Blessings to all y'all holding a post and hope to be back in the game soon. Meantime will keep working on gathering information and posting it. My ultimate goal is a state by state database with legal implications of operating an internal volunteer church security team using CWL holders.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Church Security Website Help, Please!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »
Hueyville,

Thank you for reaching out to U.S. LawShield regarding your questions and concerns. Due to the broad nature of your inquiry, our independent program attorneys would be best able to assist you through our member business line at 877-448-6839.