Author Topic: Colorado Employment Parking Lot -- Fired??  (Read 582 times)

jcllings

• View Profile
Colorado Employment Parking Lot -- Fired??
« on: December 03, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
So, it's my understanding that if they find out I have a firearm in my vehicle in the parking lot at work, I could be fired. This according to Adam Kraut's legal channel.
This seems counter-intuitive because the car is my property, not theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNNxCvwWgw

What can I do about this? What about disassembling the weapon? Then I have weapon parts but not a weapon.

sammyboy

• View Profile
Re: Colorado Employment Parking Lot -- Fired??
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:31:36 AM »
I can't answer your specific question but my feeling is don't let them find out you have a weapon in your car. If something happens that you need the weapon, better to have it and give yourself a fighting chance than to die.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »
If you're asking for a lawyer's opinion, might put this question in the "Ask the Lawyer" section. Other than that, I would agree with Sammyboy - don't let folks know about the firearm. That means not talking about it with work folks. Another thought is the possibility of parking in another spot outside the employee lot but I don't know it that is feasible.
Obviously I would keep the vehicle locked and suggest having the weapon in a small gunsafe under a seat or possibly in a console - that way you can argue that it was unavailable to the average person.
Not sure what kind of company you work for, but I'm guessing the chances of them searching all vehicles in the parking area is slim. Other than keeping a low profile and not causing reason for a search, I'm guessing you just take your chances unless Colorado has some sort of parking lot bill like Texas.

Hueyville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »
I have been self employed most of my life but for five years was a subcontractor for company that had a no firearms policy on company property or in company vehicles off property. As contractor the company vehicle policy was no issue but when at warehouse picking up product or on clients jobsite posted as "weapons free" tried to be discreet,  kept guns in vehicle gunsafe and mustered on. Has your company ever searched employee vehicles? Only heard of that on secure facilities that do dot gov work or nuclear power planfs, etc. If they do not have history or policy of searching my advice would be mount gunsafe in vehicle so if have break in less likely to have to add a missing firearm to police report telling on yourself. All of my vehicles have a police style lock for long gun and small lock box for handguns use when park in area will be out of site of truck for long period of time. Oddly only times have ever had items stolen was tools out of back of truck at church.