Author Topic: Unruly man with guns arrested at Houston hotel  (Read 5721 times)

wacojohn

• View Profile
Unruly man with guns arrested at Houston hotel
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:56:25 PM »
HOUSTON   Houston police say an intoxicated man was arrested at a hotel ahead of a New Year's Eve party for unlawfully carrying a weapon and trespassing after officers found several guns and ammunition in his room.

Investigators say security officers called police after the man became belligerent and refused to be subdued early Sunday at the bar at downtown Houston's Hyatt Regency Hotel. The hotel's annual New Year's Eve party is one of the city's largest.

Police Lt. Gordon Macintosh says responding officers found a rifle, shotgun and handgun in his room, plus ammunition.

Police said the man is jailed. His name hasn't been released.

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo tweeted that the situation was "contained" and authorities aren't aware of any specific threats to the city.

A police spokesman said Sunday afternoon that investigators couldn't speculate about the man's intent.

So based solely on this info, thought an analysis would be interesting.

It does not say he had a weapon on his person .. or does it (for unlawfully carrying a weapon)?

It is assumed he was 'in possession' by having weapons and ammo in his room(??)

Hyatt legally posts NO FIREARMS(??)

Intoxication while in possession is a crime ... but was he carrying when he was observed being intoxicated??

Somehow, I think if he gets a damn good lawyer, this will be thrown out.  Comments??

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Unruly man with guns arrested at Houston hotel
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »
Several details seem vague - maybe on purpose?

Don't know if he had LTC although I doubt it or that would probably have been mentioned. Like you said, the wording makes it unclear if he had a weapon on him. If just weapons in his room - I guess about all the hotel can charge his with is trespassing since he didn't follow their rules.

You could be right - may depend on his lawyer.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
In reading a bit more about this, there are some questions in my mind. Found no mention that the man was actually carrying while drinking in the bar. Supposedly got obnoxious enough he was told to "Get Out". Now the problem - he's drunk, has firearms in his room that need to go out with the rest of his stuff - what do you do? Hotel staff goes to "help" him get his stuff and leave and things go south from there.

I haven't seen anything lately, but I'm guessing this won't develop into much although it may cost him a bundle for a good lawyer.

wacojohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:45:35 PM »
IF Hyatt legally posts NO FIREARMS ... then he became a criminal trespasser when he brought the weapons inside the building.  That alone is a criminal case.  Whatever happened in the bar would be something quite separate.

I don't know how this ended up ... we  will probably never know.

I did just find this:

Hyatt suspect interview concluded. Placed firearms in hotel room for safekeeping while. Based on limited amount of ammunition, interview & other investigative findings no unlawful intent found. Suspect has been booked & charged with assaulting Peace Officer & trespassing.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2017/12/31/259332/unruly-man-with-guns-arrested-at-houston-hotel/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:50:30 PM by wacojohn »

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »
hmm, any sympathy I might have felt went away when I see his charges include assulting a peace office.