Author Topic: Loaded Truck Gun with Handgun License in OK  (Read 223 times)

swatkins

• View Profile
Loaded Truck Gun with Handgun License in OK
« on: January 13, 2018, 06:13:03 AM »
I have an OSBI issued handgun license. Id like to start carrying an AR 15 in my truck. So I have a few questions:

• can I store the rifle loaded under the back seat?
  • can the rifle be chamber loaded? If not, can it be mag loaded, chamber empty?
  • If its an AR pistol chambered in 5.56, can it be fully loaded?

I appreciate your time.
swatkins
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:28:23 PM by swatkins »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Loaded Truck Gun with Handgun License in OK
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 03:20:05 PM »
Initial points, only pistols qualify for carrying purposes under the SDA. You don't need a license to carry a firearm, pistol or long gun on private land. However, when you venture onto public roads, you must carry all firearms according to law.

Oklahoma Statutes:  21 O.S. section 1289.13, transporting a loaded firearm says:
Long guns, shotguns and rifles cannot be carried loaded in a vehicle on public roads.

Sorry, under Oklahoma law, you cannot store and then transport a loaded rifle under the back seat or anywhere in your truck on a public road, except empty.

Sorry, but the rifle cannot be chamber loaded when being transported on a public road. When the magazine is loaded, chamber empty, the rifle must be transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk; or in the interior of the vehicle, when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license.

If you have a pistol, AR pistol or other rifle caliber pistol, qualifying for pistol status under Oklahoma and ATF regulations, it is a very valid and convincing argument that the AR pistol is a pistol and not a short barreled rifle. If you have a pistol, you may carry it fully loaded anywhere on your person and transport your pistol legally under the Self Defense Act. For example the Ranch Hand lever action pistol is a pistol even though it looks like a short barreled, short stocked, lever action rifle. Another example: The CZ Scorpion looks like a short barreled rifle, but it is a pistol. Your AR pistol must have been originally manufactured as a pistol and not a rifle to qualify as a pistol.