Author Topic: FL Question: Transportation of Firearms on "Public Conveyances"  (Read 218 times)

sacvet

• View Profile
FL Question: Transportation of Firearms on "Public Conveyances"
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:52:38 AM »
My question concerns the following statute:

F.S. 790.25(3)(l)
"A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the personís manual possession;"

Q1:   I interpret this as you are not allowed to ride a city, bus, city trolley, or skyway carrying a concealed weapon, and that weapon cannot be in your manual possession, i.e., in a bag, purse, case, etc.   Since these methods of conveyance don't normally provide separate luggage space, you cannot carry a firearm or other weapon on them.  Even if they did provide separate storage, temporarily storing a container with a weapon in it would be problematic.

Q2: Are modes of transport, like trolleys operated by private enterprises for the benefit of the public considered a "public conveyance.?  Example: the numerous trolley companies that operate in St. Augustine which provide tours of the city.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FL Question: Transportation of Firearms on "Public Conveyances"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:18:11 PM »
sacvet,

1.     Yes your reading of the statute is correct.  If you do not have a CWFL, then the firearm must be in a secured case and not in your manual possession (in your hand).  The safest way of transporting a firearm on a public conveyance is to have it secured and stored in the luggage department under the bus or at least in a place you cannot reach the firearm. 
2.   Yes trolleys open to the public for transportation would be considered a public conveyance.