Author Topic: Traveling in NJ with a Handgun  (Read 2943 times)

JAA

Traveling in NJ with a Handgun
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:55:07 PM »
I am a PA resident and will be traveling/overnighting
in NJ on my way to DE.
What do I need to know about traveling with/storing an unloaded firearm/ammunition during my travels?
Thank you
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling in NJ with a Handgun
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:24:06 PM »
JAA,

First, neither New Jersey nor Delaware recognize a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms.  As you may have seen on the news recently with the case of Shaneen Allen, firearms are strictly regulated and prohibited in New Jersey, if you get caught with a firearm in New Jersey, you basically have no defense.  The only possible exception to this would be a defense under Federal law (18 U.S.C. 44 926A) that allows a firearm to be transported through a state that otherwise prohibits them if it is unloaded and neither the firearm nor ammunition is readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle and the traveler is legal to possess the firearm in both the originating state and the destination state and the person does not stop while traveling through the state.  However, courts in New Jersey have indicated a hostility to allowing people to use this Federal protection.  Since Delaware does not recognize a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, it is a crime to carry a concealed firearm in Delaware, however, it is legal to openly carry a firearm without any type of license as long as the person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms.  

Thank you for your question

JAA

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »
Thank you
Along with my PA ccw I also have a Utah ccw.  I am going to assume, it is of no help in NJ but changes concealed carry for DE.
Can you clarify
Thanks

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 11:34:51 AM »
JAA,

Delaware does recognize a Utah concealed firearm permit.  This obviously will allow the conceal carry of a handgun while in compliance with Delaware law.  This will also bolster the federal defense to traveling with a handgun through, but not to (as a destination) the State of New Jersey.  Also, beware of Maryland, since the borders of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland are so close together.  You will have the same problems in Maryland as exists in New Jersey.

JAA

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
Thank you