Author Topic: Guest gun for guests possible?  (Read 853 times)

BugBreeder

• View Profile
Guest gun for guests possible?
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:16 PM »
I have tenants on my land in a guest house, both US citizens and in TX for years, they don't have a CHL yet but would be authorized to buy a gun legally since they have no felony, could I just lend these guests a "guest" gun, one of my legally purchased guns, so that they could use it if needed just on my land (on the street they would need a CHL, but not at home)? Do they need to have a CHL even just to use one of my legal guns on my land?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Guest gun for guests possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 02:05:11 PM »
BugBreeder:

Texas law allows a person to carry a handgun “on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control.” Texas law also allows a person to carry a handgun “inside or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person’s control.” This does not require a license to carry a handgun. That means, even without a license to carry a handgun a person can lawfully carry a gun on a premises they control, such as the rental property you described. Tex. Pen. Code 46.02

Additionally, you can lend someone a firearm, as long as you are both residents of Texas, above the age of 18, you have no knowledge that they have committed a felony or would otherwise be disqualified from possessing a handgun, AND you have no reason to believe they will use the gun in a crime. You also cannot lend your firearm to someone you know to be intoxicated or subject to an active protective order. Tx. Pen. Code 46.06