Author Topic: Mounted White Lights on Firearms  (Read 17691 times)

MIO

• View Profile
Mounted White Lights on Firearms
« on: October 31, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »
"There a things that go bump in the night and we are what bumps back." (The movie Hellboy)
I'm a huge fan of mounted white lights on firearms. I'm not a huge fan of lights that come on automatically when the weapon is drawn. Lights can work both ways. Always try and use cover when possible. Cover not concealment.
I think that in some cases the light on the firearm should be replaced with a handheld. If you are in a house where others, especially kids, reside I think that using the gun light to ID a target is bad practice. One of my kids when she was little thru teen years was a sleep walker.
I have actually diffused situations with the use of a light. I don't use the light thinking that it will always work for that purpose but when the conditions and time allowed it has worked. The strobes are great at this because they totally take away their advantage in sight and mental focus.
The main thing with the light is target identification. I know what I'm shooting at. I have a habit of carrying a hand held light and train with it on the firearms that I can't mount lights to.
I have some expensive lights and some Walmart models. I have yet to have a failure with either from normal use. The high end ones stand apart in combat use where temps and moisture are extreme and bumps are the norm and not the exception.

So without further rattling how many carry lights on their weapons and what are your experiences?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Mounted White Lights on Firearms
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »
I tried to buy a light for my XDs 4.0 9mm a couple months ago but failed to realize the rail was the short mini-rail. I was wanting it mostly to use in home defense type situations. A couple weeks ago I took the XDs to the Tyler gun show so I could actually try the lights. The 1st one I tried was supposed to fit a short rail, but wouldn't lock in place - by just a little bit. At another vendor, I asked and he showed me a light in a package and assured me it would fit. I asked if he had one open that we could try, but no. He wouldn't offer to open it and let me make sure it would fit so I decided to spend my money with someone more interested in a sale.

Thoughts on best choice of a light that will fit a mini rail?

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
Most short rails like mine take a light that uses a CR2 battery as opposed to most lights that take a CR123.
This is an inexpensive one to try.
  newbielink:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004I4K8GK [nonactive]
On amazon you can ask others that have bought it if they have tried it on your particular model

shaver13

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:37:54 PM »
Quote from: "MIO"
Most short rails like mine take a light that uses a CR2 battery as opposed to most lights that take a CR123.
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004I4K8GK
On amazon you can ask others that have bought it if they have tried it on your particular model

I get interested on that particular item, how much is the best price for that item?

terence

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 01:46:55 AM »
Quote from: "shaver13"
Quote from: "MIO"
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004I4K8GK

I get interested on that particular item, how much is the best price for that item?
Is the item still available up to this time? As I am too have the interest to know about pricing.

aggydaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 12:14:51 PM »
I put a Crimson Trace Light Guard on my Springfield XDM 9mm.  It attaches to the trigger guard so the rail is not an issue.  The on/off pressure switch sits under your strong hand middle finger and allows good control of the light.  Has no impact on shooting.  Not inexpensive but it does the job well.  The disadvantage is that it eliminates fitted holsters as an option.  May have to go with an oversized nylon holster.

MIO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 06:03:31 PM »
I put a Crimson Trace Light Guard on my Springfield XDM 9mm.  It attaches to the trigger guard so the rail is not an issue.  The on/off pressure switch sits under your strong hand middle finger and allows good control of the light.  Has no impact on shooting.  Not inexpensive but it does the job well.  The disadvantage is that it eliminates fitted holsters as an option.  May have to go with an oversized nylon holster.
Go to deadman holsters he can help you get a fitted kydex with no issue