Author Topic: Reciprocity, unlicensed vehicle carry  (Read 283 times)

holster_guy

• View Profile
Reciprocity, unlicensed vehicle carry
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »
Hello,

I have read through some of the other reciprocity posts on here, as well as looked over www.handgunlaw.us/ but I would take comfort in hearing the answers in plain English. I am helping my parents move out to Florida which will take us through Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. I possess a Texas LTC and would like to know if there are any major differences in these states to be aware of while traveling.

Additionally, my mother, who will be in a different vehicle, would like to have her revolver easily accessible during the drive. She doesn't possess an LTC and I'd like to know if there is anything to be aware of concerning this.

Thank you.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Reciprocity, unlicensed vehicle carry
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 06:12:52 PM »
Holster_guy:

A valid Texas LTC is recognized in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. This means you can carry a concealed loaded handgun on your person in non-restricted public places and in your vehicle.

Without a license to carry each state has specific rules regarding carrying on your person, concealing, location in the car, whether it can be loaded or unloaded, and whether it needs to be locked and cased. Every state also has subtle difference (and some states have major differences) in their handgun-carry laws, even for LTC holders. For instance, Louisiana does not allow you to carry a concealed handgun at parades, La. Rev. Stat 40:1379.3 and Florida does not allow open carry. Because the laws of every state vary, for advice on how to safely travel with a handgun we recommend you call member services and ask to speak with an attorney.