Author Topic: Proper/Legal Vehical Weapon Storage  (Read 1280 times)

JNicks

• View Profile
Proper/Legal Vehical Weapon Storage
« on: September 21, 2018, 05:38:05 AM »
I watched the recent video about what to do if your firearm is stolen out of your vehicle and it brought up a storage question.

The video doesn't address the proper place/way to store a firearm in a vehicle. My understanding is a locked glove box IS NOT a proper place to store a pistol, it can be opened with a simple screwdriver. Same with a center console. Even if it locks it can be pried open easily.

I have a portable lock box with a cable lock type system. I have the cable wrapped around my drivers seat frame and locked under my seat. Easy to get out if I need to go into a place of business that has the proper signs posted. I can (to my mind) secure my pistol and have piece of mind knowing I am doing everything I can legally do to secure it.

Now back to the video about reporting a firearm stolen from a vehicle. What charges, if any, would a person face if the firearm is stole from a glove box or center console verses the lock box. 

Thank You

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Proper/Legal Vehical Weapon Storage
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »
JNicks,

Anyone that can legally possess a handgun in Texas can carry it in a motor vehicle under their control in Texas. The Texas Penal Code only requires that the handgun not be carried in plain view. Under the law, a glove box, regardless of whether it is locked would be a proper place to store your handgun. Your portable lock box is not only proper under Texas law, but sounds like a solid instrument to protect your pistol from thieves.

A person who steals a firearm from a vehicle will likely be charged with Theft under Texas Penal Code 31.03 or Robbery under Texas Penal Code 29.02, potentially facing a felony depending on the individual circumstances of the crime. If your gun is stolen, you will not be held criminally responsible for crimes committed with the gun by the thief/robber.

JNicks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 05:56:23 AM »
Thank You for the education, I like being informed.

To my mind a glove box or a center console is very much an improper place to store a firearm but I'll stop lecturing my friends about the subject.

jimbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »
I'd suggest a thicker security cable, as most of the ones supplied with the lock boxes are pretty thin. tufnut.com sells them for <$5. https://www.tufnut.com/sec-sys-app/gun-show-gun-safe-cable-locks/