Author Topic: Thought experiments  (Read 5388 times)

EdO

Thought experiments
« on: November 06, 2014, 05:14:16 PM »
Probably a result of a career in the military,  but something I do on a regular basis is think about various scenarious that would require me to use my weapon and what my response would be.  I think about the location,  surroundings,  innocent bystanders that may or may not be present and that sort of thing.  In many of the scenarious involving robbery or crimes against property the best option, for me, would be to do nothing other than observe and take info for the Police.   If it evolved into a situation where somebody was in danger,  then the situation changes.  There are other instances where drawing and using the weapon are the best option.  I guess where I'm headed is that these things are best thought about and mentally rehearsed before they happen.  There's no way to ever predict all of them,  but having as many of them thought out in advance, I would think, would be a good thing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

MIO

• View Profile
Re: Thought experiments
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
Mental rehersal will get you thru the OODA loop a lot faster. The military drills things into the head from day one so your mind doesn't struggle as much with the unnatural position you will be in later.
Fighting is a thinking process. It's not mindless like some will have you believe. I have used my mind to get me out of trouble without having to kill on numerous occasions.
Thinking is the most powerful weapon you have.

Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

swordman235

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:18:24 PM »
Quote from: "MIO"
Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

It is somewhat like the saying Practice Makes Perfect, In which for me not only by practicing is needed you should also be attentive and always be alert in all circumstances.

Miriamfar

Thought experiments
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »
Attitude and ego are like branded clothes. Itís good that you have it, but itís not necessary that you show it.

Katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »

IMHO - "situational awareness" canNOT be over emphasized nor over practiced!

As a life long motorcyclist I can assure Y'all this is ab so lute ly crucial for survival - exactly the same level of importance for arming one's self!

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:15:42 AM »
I guess that is just an instinct that some of us go through when you know your live might be in danger.  I use to be a Deputy Sheriff back in the 80ís and on duty and off I would always be in protective mode.  I still do that today.  For example, if my wife and I go to a restaurant, I never sit with my back to the door or window where I canít see who is coming or going.  I plan actions before they happen such as what if someone comes in shooting, what would I do.  Iím always in ready mode and never assume that everything will be ok because that is when you get caught with your pants down.  Some of my friends say that Iím too paranoid, but that is just me.

EdO

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »
My wife thinks I'm the only weirdo in the world that always insists on a booth where I have my back to the wall and facing the door!