Author Topic: Who can NOT be covered by the program?  (Read 3083 times)

rconway72

Who can NOT be covered by the program?
« on: November 09, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
My situation and question for the attorneys: I am going to be getting my CHL this week and live with my boyfriend who does not have a CHL. I know there is a combo membership available for CHL/non-CHL partners/spouses but here is where it gets sticky.  He was convicted 7 to 8 years ago for intoxication assault, served his whole 5 year sentence and was done with it (2011 or 12 is when he got out). He is not on parole or any type of supervision at any level, is registered to vote, etc. He has no violent offenses. Would I be able to have a combo membership with him? Would he be able to be covered by Texas Law Shield in the event something happens and he is the one holding the gun?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

switch

• View Profile
Re: Who can NOT be covered by the program?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:08:23 AM »
He is a felon and cannot have a gun.  I think there is an exception for him to have a gun inside the home  - after 5 years, but I am not sure if that is TX or Federal. :(

rconway72

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »
We are very much aware that he is a felon and can not have a gun, thanks, but I'm still searching for an answer as far as to whether or not TLS would cover a membership for him. It's 10 years after completion of a sentence that he can legally have a gun in the home but is never eligible to own one in his name.

He is a force recon Marine veteran, and believe me when I tell you that if someone is trying to get into our home he WILL take that gun to protect me without hesitation. So I want to know, if we're paying for a membership for him, will he have representation in the event he uses a gun?

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »
rconway72,

One of the requirements of Texas Law Shield coverage is that the individual in question be in lawful possession of a firearm. Therefore, so long as your boyfriend is in a place where he has a legal right to possess his gun (his home, for self-defense purposes) and isn't breaking the law (carrying in public), he would not be disqualified just because of his past, and you could certainly have a combination membership.

Just to clarify, the requirement under 46.04 of the Texas Penal Code is that it be 5 years from the end of his confinement or release from parole/supervision, whichever is later, before he is allowed to possess firearms at home for self-defense.

Thank you for your question.

tmelam

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »
Quote from: "rconway72"
force recon Marine veteran

That was a pretty solid thing to hear on your boyfriend's (and my) 239th birthday.

Semper Fi, double trouble.