Author Topic: UNL CARRY HANDGUN LIC HOLDER  (Read 8740 times)

spanman

• View Profile
UNL CARRY HANDGUN LIC HOLDER
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
While reading on the DPS( web site under "Conviction Rates" I noticed a very high rate of convictions (30 percent) for UNL CARRY HANDGUN LIC HOLDER  what is that?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

yabu

• View Profile
Re: UNL CARRY HANDGUN LIC HOLDER
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:10:29 PM »
I think that refers to a license holder carrying a handgun where handguns are prohibited - as in a bar or gov. building, or where a 30.06 sign is posted.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »
spanman,

That notation refers to section 46.035 of the Texas Penal Code, entitled “Unlawful Carrying of a Handgun by a License Holder.” This is the section that makes it a crime to carry your concealed firearm:

•   Into a business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages
•   On the premises of a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event
•   On the premises of a correctional facility
•   Into a hospital, nursing home, amusement park, or place of worship if there is a proper 30.06 sign posted
•   Into a place where a government entity is meeting

Violation of this statue is a Class A misdemeanor, except that carrying into a 51% establishment or a correctional facility is a 3rd degree felony.

If I were to guess, the reason CHL Holders have been convicted of this crime is due to absent mindedness. It may be easy for many to forget that they have a handgun on their person or in their bag and walk into a prohibited place without even realizing they are committing a crime.

Thank you for your question.

zeeshan123

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 01:21:47 AM »
Is there a web site where I can find the history of this particular weapon? I would hate to use it only to find out it was previously used in the commission of a crime, or it was stolen.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 08:52:55 PM »
why zheshan123 ?

yabu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
If you acquired the gun legally (I assume you did) and you have a bill of sale or receipt for it then I don't see why the history of the weapon should matter.  You are certainly not responsible for how the gun was used prior to your ownership.

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 06:14:15 PM »
The only thing I am aware of other than the federal site (accessible only by law enforcement as far as I know) is a private site hotgunz.com that has a listing of stolen guns by serial number. They have a relatively small listing (9,000 plus) and only started in 2009. It would be a long shot, but you can type in a serial number from a weapon in question (preferably before you buy it) and if it is on their list, it would let you know the possibility that it was stolen. The listing is free and anyone can list a stolen firearm on the site.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
zeeshan123,

No, there is very little information available about the history of any given firearm. The police can run it to see if it has been stolen, but keep in mind that if you ask them to do this and it has been reported stolen, you will lose your gun and likely will not be compensated for the cost.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:32:36 AM »
Quote from: "TexasLawShield"
spanman,

That notation refers to section 46.035 of the Texas Penal Code, entitled “Unlawful Carrying of a Handgun by a License Holder.” This is the section that makes it a crime to carry your concealed firearm:

•   Into a business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages
•   On the premises of a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event
•   On the premises of a correctional facility
•   Into a hospital, nursing home, amusement park, or place of worship if there is a proper 30.06 sign posted
•   Into a place where a government entity is meeting

Violation of this statue is a Class A misdemeanor, except that carrying into a 51% establishment or a correctional facility is a 3rd degree felony.

If I were to guess, the reason CHL Holders have been convicted of this crime is due to absent mindedness. It may be easy for many to forget that they have a handgun on their person or in their bag and walk into a prohibited place without even realizing they are committing a crime.

I thought you could go into a any bar such as a Sports Bar where they also sell food with your Concealed Handgun "As long as there is no 30.06 or 51% sign.  Am I correct...??

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
mayfieldh,

Thank you very much for your question. I've passed the question onto one of the independent firearms program attorneys for review and for an answer. The independent program attorneys should have an answer drafted for you soon. Keep in mind, if this is an emergency question, you can always call us here at the office for an immediate response (877)448-6839.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
Thanks, I'll wait for the response here.  I'm sure everyone else would also like to know.

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 11:40:12 AM »
mayfieldh,

Correct! If it is not a 51% establishment and there is not a 30.06 sign, you are free to carry.

mayfieldh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 09:23:20 AM »
Thanks, that's what I thought...