Author Topic: Unlicensed handgun questions  (Read 2533 times)

BigAl

Unlicensed handgun questions
« on: December 04, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
I have an unregistered handgun that I have been using for my carry weapon.  The gun was given to me by a person I had loaned money.  He gave me the weapon as repayment of the loan.   He doesn't know the history of the weapon and neither do I.  Here are my questions:
1)  Is there a web site where I can find the history of this particular weapon?   I would hate to use it only to find out it was previously used in the commission of a crime, or it was stolen.
2)  Should I register the weapon?
3)  If so, how do I go about registering it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Unlicensed handgun questions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »
BigAl,

If the handgun was used in a crime, the authorities would probably not be able to figure this out by running the serial number. Running the serial number would be the way to find out if it has been stolen. However, the best way to accomplish this is probably not to go down to your local PD and ask them to run it. If it does come back stolen you will immediately lose possession of the handgun, and there is a chance you might have to undergo interrogation or worse about the theft. If you have a friend or family member in law enforcement who could run it for you, that is probably your best bet.

You do not have to register the weapon in the Texas. If you would like to draft a simple bill of sale or receipt showing that you now have possession of the gun you may do so, but that would be just for your records to prove that you are the proper owner. Make sure you include buyer and seller signatures, the date, serial number/make/model, how much value you placed on it, etc.

Thank you for your question.

Neighbor

• View Profile
Re: Unlicensed handgun questions
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »
I recently ran across a site called Hotgunz.com that allows you to put in serial numbers of guns and see if it has been reported stolen to them. Now understand this is not the national "hot" list but something a private group has started for individual gun owners. You can also list any firearms you have had stolen with them. I don't know much about this site but they claim to have 9 or 10,000 stolen guns listed (started in 2009 I believe). Anyone can list or run a check at this site - just be aware it is not a complete list like the national database would be.  Anyone else know about this site or had experience with it?