Author Topic: New California AB1609 Question  (Read 2007 times)

CO100735

New California AB1609 Question
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:34:29 PM »
Per an article in Concealed Carry Magazine, California Assembly Bill 1609, just signed by Governor Jerry Brown, places restrictions on all firearms brought into the state. With family and friends in California I travel there by car once or twice a year. I travel with my firearm and heretofore, upon entering California, I have kept the weapon locked in the trunk of my car in a locked, hard-sided gun case. I have assumed that this is legal. Now, however, the new law appears to require guns coming into the state to be transferred to an FFL holder who would do the required background check and must observe the waiting period before transferring the gun to the owner. Can you please clarify what is actually true in the case of a non-resident traveling by car into and through California with a firearm in light of this new law? Also, is it legal for me to transfer my weapon from the trunk of my car into a hotel at night while traveling through California? Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

TexasLawShield

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New California AB1609 Question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
CO100735,

The new California bill only applies to California residents who acquire a firearm out of state. You may continue to transport your firearm into the state, unloaded, in a locked container or locked in the vehicle’s trunk. You should be able to bring your weapon into the hotel only by carrying in a locked case in a direct path from your vehicle to the room. Be careful if the hotel has a posted “no firearms” sign. Though these signs do not have the force of law unless posted in a location named in CA statute (a hotel is not one of these places), if the hotel asks you to leave due to your firearm, you must do so or you could be arrested for criminal trespass.

Thank you for your question.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »