Author Topic: Carry while hunting?  (Read 5775 times)

Mortarman91

Carry while hunting?
« on: December 06, 2014, 12:49:54 AM »
I currently do not have a CHL, but I was wondering if it was legal to carry a handgun with me for the purpose of self defense. All of the hunting areas around me are shotgun with birdshot only. I don't feel that would take down a hog if I encountered one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

MIO

• View Profile
Re: Carry while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »
Your state game laws will cover that. It depends on seasons, carry method, caliber and area being hunted.

CXO

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:13:00 PM »
A portion - from the " Legal Education  " section inside the membership area.

" The General Firearms Laws of The State of Texas

The following is a general discussion of useful and practical firearms laws every gun owner should know in Texas.

In Texas, it is generally illegal to carry a handgun outside of a personís own premises. However, a person may carry, either open or concealed, in a non-threatening or alarming manner, a shotgun or rifle.

However, in Texas, there are several places where a person may possess a handgun legally without the benefit of a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL). These places include:

A personís residence or other real property owned by them or under their control.
    A personís private motor vehicle or watercraft if the handgun is concealed, and the person is legal to possess a firearm, is not a member of a street gang, and is not engaged in the commission of a crime greater than a Class C misdemeanor traffic or boating violation.
    A person engaged in lawful fishing, hunting, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the personsí residence or motor vehicle, if the firearm is a type commonly used in the activity.

Any of the above information is solely a general legal discussion of the law in Texas and should not be considered as giving legal advice, nor creating an attorney-client relationship. Your situation may be different so contact an attorney regarding your personal circumstances. Please call our office if you need more information."

Neighbor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 08:24:30 PM »
What kind of game hunting is allowed in these "bird shot only" properties near you?

xfilesera

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:17:11 AM »
Carry on a school trip, that is sponsored by the school and thus acted out by employees of the school, representing the school would be forbidden correct?????